Infinity with built-in distortion pedal!

Reaction score
Hi there

My 2002 Infinity NT sounds like it has its own distortion pedal installed :confused: The fuzzing/distortionlike effect hasn't been there before until recently. First I thought the battery had died, but after I changed it it kept on having this distortion! I've tried several batteries and no matter what the fuzzing is there. There are no lose hardware or electronics.

It's there when the EQ is bypassed and turned on. I suspect the battery wire which goes to the preamp/PU's to be ♣♣♣♣ed, because it only works when I actually put the battery into the bass.

Thoughts? I need the bass for a gig at sunday :((

Reaction score
I think you have pinpointed the issue, and should look into some reputable instrument repair joints in your area. State your emergency, and most will get the job done.

The shop in the village has saved my ass many times. I sent Xmas cards to them.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Yes, it seems to be a bad soldering, and if it is, it is easy to fix!

Reaction score
Okey, good to know :) Thanks alot guys!

Can't stop loving this forum, it should have its own adds in bass guitar magazines.

Reaction score
Hi there guys, a little update

It wasn't bad soldering, but the print card in the preamp or something like that. So the guy fixing it have ordered a new one, but that was like in January. He said the dealer didn't have any left, so we would have to wait until the dealer got new print cards from Warwick.

As I said, that was in January. Now it's April. The bass has been standing at the music store for over 3 months now. Last time I played it was in the end of December.

Any idea of how long it will take for Warwick to ship this to the Warwick dealer up north here in Europe? I'm missing my Infinity so bad it hurts :(

EDIT: Oh, and the guy repairing it don't know how much this will cost me. Does anyone know? Will it be cheaper for me to buy a new preamp?

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Hi buddy,

Well, if the guys requesting the part are realy serious about it, they can have the part in one week or something ;-)

Reaction score
Uhm, ok. I'll have to talk to him tomorrow. You don't know anything about prices? It's a 2002 second hand model, so no guaranty involved.

Reaction score
Yeah, I think so, Greg.

Thanks a lot Greg and Florin! Your help is much appreciated :)

Reaction score
Yikes, looks like its gonna be an expensive fix :confused:

Reaction score
Yupp, and it doesn't help that the guys fixing it are being total assholes, bitching about that I didn't buy the bass from them. They say things like that if this were a bass from them this would've actually been done and it would cost me very little at all. LIKE I CARE, I WANT MY BASS! And besides, if I bought it from them it'd cost like 100% more than what I paid :)

Gonna tell them tomorrow that if they can't give me any real answers on when I might get it back, I'll just take the bass home and order a new preamp myself.

Reaction score
Mate,honestly,I dont know who has the bass,or what they're like generally.But 3 months is way WAY too long.
I think it might be best if you get your bass back & just take it to a guitar technician & start again.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to have a whole crew working together with me, for 7 years. This kind of problem was usually fixed in 5 to 10 minutes... Then back to the show...

Reaction score
Yey! It's repaired now :)

Seems the "real" repair guy hadn't been there for six months because of school, and guess what: He fixed it in 15 min.

There was some dust in the preamp, and that's what made the distortion-like sound. With the f-holes there's a chance it can happen.

I'm not angry anymore, too happy for having my absolute favorite bass guitar back home again :D Of course it didn't cost me anything.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
I hate when guy like those are not making their jobs and they are not telling the truth...

Happy for you now though...

Reaction score
Glad your ordeal's over now Blinky & your baby is back to full health.

Top Bottom