Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

I Need Some Help To Decide And Maybe A Bit Of Guidance From The More Experienced

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Stefan B.13, Dec 9, 2018.

?

What would you recommend

1. Thumb

20.0%
  2. Corvette

20.0%
  3. Streamer

60.0%
  1. Stefan B.13

Stefan B.13

Hi,

This is my first time posting here so ai hope I post in the right place.

I played bass since I was 13 but had to stop after a few years due to a injury. I managed to fracture my middle, ring and pinky fingers and had to keep a cast on for 4 months. After taking it off I had the "pleasure" to realise that the bones were not sutured properly but at an angle and I have disconfort since, when I try to move my fingers. (It the left hand). Fast forward to last year I decided to see a doctor in a different country that recommend exercise daily aaaaand I decided to pick up bass again. The first few months were horrible because I cauld hear clacking noises and the bones rubbing on each other whenever I played but now it feels way better.

So, my goal is to get to play faster. I am looking at bassists like Alex Webster and that makes me want to play more. I have a few basses now (I mainly use a ibanez sr300 and a Spector Performer 5) but I wanted a Warwick bass since I was like 14. Also I want to get a 6 string bass (I really feel like my fretting hand will let me play one now, or at least with a few more months of "exercise").

I decided to go for a Warwick GPS (that is what my budget allows me at the moment). I was looking at the Corvette GPS 6 BO in Bubinga and the Thumb 6 BO. I also like the streamer body shape but can't find a 6 string version that has a natural satin finish or a oil finish.

I am interested in what you people recommend. I heard the thumb has neckdive and it does look a bit unbalanced to me even if I absolutely love the way it looks. Also for a more heavy and a bit distorted sound what wood should I go for? Ash or Bubinga?

Sorry for the long post!

Thank you!
    Stefan B.

2. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

Hi Stefan, welcome to our humble forum!

Have you considered looking at used market instruments? You can get the best possible quality for lower then GPS prices there.
    Of course, GPS will not be disappointing either. Between the GPS Thumb BO6 and the Corvette 6 I'd personally pick the Thumb as to me that model is 'the' Warwick.

The trick with playing fast is in playing in a relaxed and controlled fashion and (especially on a six string bass) not ever straining.
    My Warwicks have always been the fastest and effortless playing instruments I owned (although the Zon Sonus Special was on the same level).

Edit: Noticed you added a streamer to the mix. I do not like streamers.

Stefan B.13 likes this.
  3. Stefan B.13

Stefan B.13

Thank you so much DiMarco for the reply!

I have considered looking at the used market but to be honest I guess I am a bit worried about purchasing something from a person and not a shop. I know it's a stupid fear but I might give it a go.

I strongly incline towards a thumb although they are a bit more pricey (but then again it is like getting married, I don't really care about adding a couple of extra houndred euros and I am not planning on selling it). I only played on a streamer about 10 years ago and as far as I remember it was comfortable. That's the only reason why I am considering it.

My budget would be around €1500- 1800. The Corvette GPS 6 would be exactly in that range of I am to get it new. I could only find 1 thumb at 2k if I can remember properly (again, brand new).

4. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi Stefan, and welcome home!
    There is no bad choice here, but different type of sounds, depends on what you prefer.

- Thumb- awesome bass, compressed, growly, think of Jaco sound on steroids. somehow nasal.
    - Streamer- well an LX is awesome. Or SSII. Growly, typical Warwick sound, good overall sound (Thumb can be a bit too speciffic)
    - Corvette- that's Warwick's version of a Jazzbass- Awesome instruments, more generic sounding than the other two, but still keeping some of Warwick's character.

GPS is a great choice, but I am with Di Marco here, you could buy a 2nd hand one from here. We all know each other, most of the instruments you find here are from highly recommended sellers :)

Between the 3 of them, I would chose Streamer LX, if you are not very familiar with Warwick.
    Thumb is heavy, hard on your back, uncomfortable position. Corvette- is a bit more conventional sounding.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  5. Stefan B.13

Stefan B.13

Hi Florin, and thank you so much for your post!

All the info you and DiMarco gave me makes me want a thumb more and more. I have absolutely no problem with the shape, or the weight of the instrument (I am 2m tall and pretty chubby..... Well a lot more chubby) I normally play in a classical position (I hope I am not getting it wrong, I am right handed but keep the instrument on mi left leg). I remember trying out a Les Paul shaped bass once and it felt "bottom heavy", the body of the bass felt like it was sliding off my leg.

For the sound I am going for the thumb might be what I need. I used to play funeral doom and death metal so a Jaco sound on steroids, more growly would help me achieve that.

The streamer would indeed be a familiar shape for me but I don't want that to be a factor in my decision.

I have never played on a corvette before but for some reason it looks a bit more balanced to me (probably because it's similar to the thumb except the body is a bit bigger).

I just looked on Thomann and saw a Thumb BO 6 for €1900.
    I will keep an eye out for used ones here as well.

Thank you again for all the info!

6. Florin

Stefan, cal this shop | DoctorBass, and tell them you were directed from us, (warwickforum), they have insane prices, but they might add you an extra 5% discount :)

Email [email protected] his name is Joaquin, and talk to him.

PaulS and Stefan B.13 like this.
  7. Stefan B.13

Stefan B.13

Thank you Florin! Will do!

I will probably be able to get it early next year but I will definitely look into Doctor Bass.

8. Florin