Huge shards of wood piercing my fingers...

Jim

Reaction score
Well, ok, maybe not huge shards of wood...

But twice now in the past few months I've firmly planted rather large splinters of wood from the edge of the fretboard on my Taranis 5-string into my finger while gliding my hand up the fretboard.

This bass is still under warranty, but only for a few more weeks. My local luthier/set-up guy/customizer/all around bass-looker-after used to be an authorized Warwick repair center, but since they dumped Dana B Goods in the US, the new distributor has given them the cold shoulder.

I'd love to get this resolved prior to the warranty going away. I am the original owner and have all the necessary paperwork/receipt, etc.

Any thoughts on what I should do with this?
Thanks,
Jim C

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Hello Jim,

Please contact Hanser Music, and talk with them, send pictures... They will solve the problem.

Reaction score
did u wax the edges of the fretboard. coz i did for my taranis and it seems to be holding up really well

Jim

Reaction score
Thank you Florin I will contact them.

Reaction score
wax/oil the bass please.

+1
he meant the fretboard and neck. But DO NOT wax the bass' body it it is stained satin finish!
The Wenge fretboards tend to splinter easily if not lubricated (fed or oiled) often. ;)

Reaction score
+1
he meant the fretboard and neck. But DO NOT wax the bass' body it it is stained satin finish!
The Wenge fretboards tend to splinter easily if not lubricated (fed or oiled) often. ;)

Should I use lemon oil on the wenge fretboards? I have a tin of beeswax also but I feel like the lemon oil/conditioning treatment cleans the fretboard much better.

Reaction score
Should I use lemon oil on the wenge fretboards? I have a tin of beeswax also but I feel like the lemon oil/conditioning treatment cleans the fretboard much better.

Lemon oil will clean & condition the fingerboard.
This wont stop it splintering though.Wenge is prone to it.Not all wenge boards will splinter,but it does happen.
The splintered piece can be glued back in place.

Reaction score
Lemon oil will clean & condition the fingerboard.
This wont stop it splintering though.Wenge is prone to it.Not all wenge boards will splinter,but it does happen.
The splintered piece can be glued back in place.

My fingerboard is from a 2000 corvette and hasn't splintered yet. The wood is still nice and smooth. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :d

Reaction score
isnt this the common "wenge splintering" thing?

this happened to be on my Darklord... and there was a thread before about it (wenge splintering experiences)

Reaction score
It does happen if you do not condition it regularly from time to time. I have never gone through it but I have gotten splinters in my fingers before and they hurt so I condition my Wenge FBs from time to time.

Yes lemon Oil is what I use too. Lakland and other manufacturers also recommend Orange Oil ;) for cleaning and conditioning and Warwick is the same ;).

use Lemon oil at the FB and neck to clean and condition and then wax the back of the neck (if it is not high gloss finish of course). :)

Top Bottom