How to adjust my amp for that good slap/pop sound! =)

Reaction score
Hey there! I'm quite fresh with my amp, and any help I could get I'd love. for example, how should I twist and turn to get the "ultimate" slap N'pop sound? Thanks!

Here's the controls

There's two buttons to push, One says pad -12db and one says comp.

(There is a Aux input aswell. With a Gain and a Tone Balance.)

Reaction score
I think the general conception would be to lower the mids...

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Hey Ben,
Pan the Corvette's pickups to the neck
Then- Bass- 1 o clock
Mids- 1- 2 0 clock
Treble Flat.
Of course I don't know the way your amp is sounding, but this should work for an old school nice slap sound.

Reaction score
How do i pan the pickups to the neck?
Thanks for the amp setting advice tho. Works great!

Reaction score
Benjamin said:
How do i pan the pickups to the neck?
Thanks for the amp setting advice tho. Works great!

Dial clockwise. Easy check: the neck pickup will give you more lowend, whereas the bridge pickup will give you a more trebly acoustic sound. 8)

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Being a combo, you don't have enough low end coming from your cabinet probably. Boosting the lows to compensate that would be a mistake... IMHO

Reaction score
I'd set everything flat on both the bass & amp & see if that setting is to your liking.If not,you can gently boost your low end & cut your mids slightly.The -12db pad is for active instruments with a hot signal.

Reaction score
Ah, sweet, thanks for the advice, Greg! =) I'll try it out first thing in the morning!

Reaction score
I use to do this to get the best slap sound:

- Use only the neck-pickup or 50-50 neck-bridge pickup
- Start with all eq-pots in flat position
- Turn up the bass-pot somewhat, the sound should be fat, but not muddy
- Turn up the treble-pot a little, the sound should have a fresh and clear character, but not overly harsh
- I'm not sure what the enhance-knob on your amp exactly does, but the contour/enhance-knobs generally often higher the lows and highs and lower the mids, often perfect for a good slap-sound, try it with the treble- and bass-pot at flat position
- Try to hit the strings clean and hard with a "loose" thumb

Good luck!

Reaction score
I'd cut the mids a bit, treble flat, boost bass a bit and pan slightly towards neck pick up. Usually works for me :D

bac

Reaction score
I really think there is not a tone (EQ) problem.
Instead you have to consider seriously COMPRESION ... by the hand (the way you play) and electronics. Try to play trough a good compresor and you will see the diference.

Florin

OG
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum Adi :)
Guys, meet, Adrian Bortun, he is a great romanian Bass player! He plays like a tank, and have one the best sound I've ever heard, now he joined the thumb side :)

[video=youtube;7gA9G7AVH1s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gA9G7AVH1s[/video]
[video=youtube;jgm8LY7_VGY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgm8LY7_VGY&feature=related[/video]

Reaction score
Your amp has an enhance knob that i'd try using that, also have your compressor button pressed as this may help. But it'll be a bit of experimenting on your part!

It also depends if you have what you think is the ulitmate slap tone in your head. There are 2 that come to mind, one is the scooped sound where you boost bass and treble and cut mids. As greg described.

The other is a more mid orientated tone. Which is how florin described.

Both sound good but depends on your choice. Follow all the advice give here and try experimenting is the best way.

Reaction score
The most common slap EQ configuration I hear is the bass and highs boosted with some mids scooped out.

;)

....that's what the enhance knob does.

You can try by setting the EQ completely flat, and then slowly adjust the enhance knob up to see if you find a tone you like.

;)

If you get too much past 12 o'clock on the enhance dial and it doesn't float your boat, start playing with individual frequencies. Often flat EQ and a little enhance will produce a nice slap tone on the Nemesis amps.

Also, you can hit the Comp button to engage the onboard compressor too and see if you like it when slapping.

I'm curious about the EQ setting in your picture though. Why do you have the bass at 3 o'clock and mids and treble both at 2 o'clock? You would get the same EQ by only boosting the bass to 1 o'clock, leaving mids and treble flat and just raise the volume if necessary.

;)

Reaction score
I also noticed that your gain is set below your master volume. You should set your gain so that the level indicator led lights on particularly loud or hard notes, that way you are getting maximum input which should equal less noise when turned up loud.

All of the above info is a good start to getting a decent slap sound - but remember slap sounds are unique to a person, so don't be put off if you have a sound that is different that you like....you might be the next Claypool or Miller :)

G

Reaction score
Eberbachl said:
I'm curious about the EQ setting in your picture though. Why do you have the bass at 3 o'clock and mids and treble both at 2 o'clock? You would get the same EQ by only boosting the bass to 1 o'clock, leaving mids and treble flat and just raise the volume if necessary.

;)

Even if the ratio's the same the sound may not, due to the way filters work as you boost a centre frequency and those around it. So having the bass at 3 o'clock and the others at 2 o'clock will give a slightly different tone than just boosting the bass to 1 o'clock.

Best example is on a basses eq, if you boost/cut both the same its a different tone to if they were left flat.

sorry to go off topic.

Top Bottom