Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

How is everybody?

Discussion in 'Maddrakkett's Caffe' started by Florin, Oct 13, 2011.

1. BassRunner911

BassRunner911 Warwick Endorser

What's up everyone!

I haven't been posting on the forum as much as I used to. I'll be posting a little more regularly.

I've been doing a lot of teaching lately. I am on the teaching staff for Fairfield University's summer Jazz Workshop. This summer when I wasn't teaching at Fairfield (my soon to be Alma Mater), I taught at the School of Rock. That was a fun experience, and a great way to give back to kids who are just picking up their instruments.

Earlier this month, I was asked to play bass in a jazz ensemble at a benefit concert for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. We are doing a reenactment of one of Dean Martin's performances in Vegas. We will be playing in Fairfield, CT (which means I don't even need to travel).

My rock band, Chasing Carmen, is entering the studio in early December to record our first full-length album. I'm really excited about that.

I'm graduating at the end of this year with a degree in Jazz. If anyone has any theory questions, I'm more than happy to answer them. Just send me a quick PM.

2. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Hey, Florin it was cool to get your message. A lot's been going on for me this year.

The very short version: I played bass for 12 years, then a 10+ year absence from music, then in January 2010 I had an urge to play again.

I played bass for 12 years when I was younger. The most dedicated band would be TolerancE with whom I played for about 5 years (hence my handle). Then I moved from East to West coast of Canada. I always knew I would play again at some point but never knew when it would happen. It kept getting delayed for one reason or another: got married, needed to find a stable job, bought older home then later we built a new one.

In January 2010, I was determinted to continue my journey of playing music. I took about 1+ year to acquire decent gear [ one is a Thumb BO 6 :) ] and put in a lot of dedicated practice to get myself back up to speed. Maybe it's because I'm older but I noticed that I had a little more patience to learn some techniques which had previously eluded me when I played many years ago. I also joined music forums, much like this one which were a great help.

Around the end of August 2011. I summed up courage to write a CL ad in my area, being upfront that I played long ago, had a 10+ year absence, and that I was looking to play music again. I expected anywhere from zero to maybe 2 replies. 6 hours passed with no messages. I figured that would be it, then 1 message, then 2, and they kept coming. I received so many messages, from so many different styles of music (rock, metal, punk, jazz, blues, non-descript trippy-music, motown). For the first time in many years, I was able to have music-related discussions with musicians/bands. I've had jams, where I noted some points where I was still a bit rusty, but I'm sure it'll come back soon. In all, it's been a pretty cool time up to now.

I've been having a blast playing different styles here & there, but I'm starting to get ideas of my ideal band/music situation(s).

3. lilpbass

lilpbass

Hello Florin, everyone,
    This summer has been very fun for the family. Luke is 17 months now. Learning to talk and a lot of fun. We have been enjoying playing outside. We are planning to have another child soon. This is my busiest time of year at work. Thankfully that only last a few months. We are looking forward to hayrides and warm cider this weekend. The Covered Bridge Festival begins tomorrow and we live in the heart of it! I have been playing here and there, mostly drums. How is your family? The moving is hard. Are you able take your family with you? We have to balance life Flo, so I am very happy you are playing again. You should, you enjoy it too much not to! Enjoy the Mac. I just bought an iPhone!

More later, pAUL

4. Gerry

Gerry

Still giggin with the reggae band and diggin the PN3. Good to see new and old heads here and what you've been up to. Thanks for the email shout Florin!

5. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Nice to see so many replies. Well, I received (by mail) other kind of replies too, from "Who the ### are you?" to "Go to hell!!", haha!

To me it was really nice to read all your posts, and see how you are doing, I really missed some of you, and I like to know the new guys better.

I see many replies to my Facebook comment. I am not against Facebook, I use it as well, I need to. But I've noticed that people don't write as much as before, not on forums, not even on Facebook. They click on "Like", "Thank you" etc, and that's it. The online communication is not "the real thing" anyway, but at least we used to communicate that way, to make friends, to interact. Now we have a button if we like a comment, or we leave if we don't like, and that's all our interaction.

So here we are together again, telling stories, I like that, let's stick together :)

Cheers,
    Flo

6. Gman

Gman

Hello Peeps!

Hi Flo (and everyone else)!

Thanks for the message - here's what I've been up to:

I've had a baby boy - his name is Zac Cougar Rees and he's brilliant. He's now 9 months old and walking, so he's a handful.
    My little girl is now 3 and a half and doesn't stop talking, so she's a handful.
    My wife hardly gets any sleep, so she's a handful.

I've also started a new company - we've built a new ecommerce system so I'm really busy building that up.

I'm still writing songs for my prog/rock/pop band - you can listen to (really) rough demos here:
    Fushi - Band in Coventry, EN - BandMix.co.uk
    We're struggling to find a decent guitarist so that's really slowing progress down. What is it with guitarists that they either can't play in time, can't play in tune, can't not widdle and can't not divebomb every 30 seconds:confused:

I'm still playing my Flamin Blonde and get loads of comments on how great it sounds.

I've only just joined Facebook and don't get it...seems like a total waste of time and I'd much rather be spending that time writing songs or sleeping!

Hope you're all well - I wish you all the best of luck, love and life :d

Giles (Gman)

7. Nachobassman

Nachobassman Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!

What a great thread, I´m having a great time reading all these stories, I feel sorry about the hard times some of you guys have passed thru, and feel happy for all the nice musical or personal moments you have shared.

I´ve been very active in this forum for more than a year, since I decided to get a Warwick, and it´s been a nice experience to me.

As some of you may know, I´m from Venezuela, lived all my life there, and in 2007 I decided to come to Spain to try diferent things, to change from the rough economical, social and political situation in my country. The first two years here were really hard, I feeled very lonely, missed my family and friends and my former band, Ricochet, with whom I played almost 10 years and toured all Venezuela, Colombia and Ecuador.

During those 2 years I got into a "musical depression" but after moving to the nice town I´m living right now, I started to look for other musicians to play with, because I needed to play music again.

Well, now I´m stabllished, living with my beautiful girlfriend, my crazy cat, a bunch of nice basses and playing rock n´ roll.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2011
  8. bassus_play

bassus_play

Hello Flo and W brothers :)

Glad that I received the mail from you Flo :), kind of reminding me playing the Corvette CS and the Streamer BN....both gone sadly because of the lack of money. Long time since I posted here. These days I kind of agreed with myself that maybe I should quit searching for a band. I tried to get togeder some friends but I failed, so...I will play bass home for my son :))

As my romanian people say, one trouble never comes alone, so I lost my job also...bad days are coming, hopefully I will find something until the winter starts.

Besides sitting on my ass doing nothing, I'm fine :) Hope that you folks are doing a lot better then I do :).

9. [wolfman]

[wolfman]

Really liking this Alex. Shame about your singer... hope you find a replacement.

10. Gastrok

Gastrok

+1

;)

11. Gastrok

Gastrok

Thanks so much Flo for getting us all out here...seeing some names I haven't seen in quite some time!

12. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Gerry, well thank you all for being again with me here, haha.

13. Carlos Bill

Carlos Bill

More interviews, more dates for musicians and public

Hi Florian. Man, one important (very important) question, I guess, is that (am I wrong?) I miss, and other people too, the former abundant Rolling Stone interviews with very famous musicians. Do you remember Jack Bruce, Eric Clapton long, full interviews of six or more pages? Full photos? I do. And so do others.

I suppose that the instrument and the artist walk together so tight; I mean, Florian, what if you created a session for Warwick, interviewing the most famous bass players who made the instruments's history? What if starting with Jack Bruce? Bootsy Collins...

Man, I miss more 'dynamite' records of these cats, I say, do you know the live West, Bruce & Laing record, Live'n'Kickin', of 1974? You can't find this record in dvd, but you can find Band of Gipsies, Cream, you name it, which were formerly found only in vinyl, and now can be found in live dvds, same shows, same tunes. You see, you have the tool to show. And these Cream and Band of Gipsies dvds that I say, are mostly rare, never previously seen live performances of these bands. Jesus Christ, please let's stop these Farewell Concerts of Cream and stuff like that, there are many more super live shows there on sale. (People say that the Farewell Concert was sort of a bureauchractic show, you see, not that authentic from-the-bottom-of-the-soul type of performance).

So, if you cannot find exactly the Spectrum Theare live dvd show in Philadelphia where West, Bruce & Laing played for that Live'n'Kickin' record, then perhaps you can find another show of similar setlist where the listener can delight himself with the super solos and grooves of these three guys. You can see the bass fretboard, you can see if Jack Bruce played with the D string loose or fretted. It's so meaning, you can SEE it! That's the difference between cds and dvds, because you have the image. It's so powerful.

So, you have the power and the tools to create it, Florian. If one or another artist is boring to deal with, I suppose there are many ways to make him get interested in this article. To start it: a long, rich interview with Jack Bruce. Not a video/YouTube stuff, that's boring because many things are mixed and you can't hear stuff, but if you can make a long long Cover Interview with Jack Bruce, that type of interview that the Rolling Stone review did when Cream joined for that 2005 concert at the Albert Hall, then I guess Warwick section have reached a new rank. Please think about it. It may open ways for other artists from other countries too; you see, people are what they read and listen to. And what they see. I know many friends of mine who only started playing a guitar or bass because they read long interviews of Eric Clapton or Jack Bruce or Greg Lake interviews. Even today, they do, Florian. You see, the girlfriend and boyfriend reading together the same article in a sofa, or one of these giving the review as a gift for another friend. That's stronger than Internet, sometimes. That's similar to that viewpoint about Facebook that you pointed here. Ok, but Warwick does have Internet. So, what if Warwick create a new review, like the Rolling Stone, to show these articles? Man, Lemmy Kilmister, that killer bass tone, seems like a bass solo will come any time (like Jack Bruce), Flea, Sting...ok, they don't play Warwick basses but their basses have that semi-distorted tone that is also found in Warwicks sometimes.

So, man, don't get me wrong because of this my post here, but I'm just considering Florian the great bass player and site coordinator (boss), so things are clear. I think this Warwick site is the most absorbing, sensational visual news I've seen in a very long time, since they created Fillmore East and West and the famous instruments stores on which you see a famous musician looking for an instrument once in a while there. You can choose all types of Warwick models, that's superb information, even I, who don't play a Warwick bass but a Samick bass, once played in a fretless Warwick in a store in Copacabana and really fell in love with it! Because of this site here.

Exactly, I like this old time way of talking to friends by phone calls or in person in a bar or a square, and, just because of this feeling that you posted so well here, I guess one exciting but nice way to keep it going, is simply by putting this in more colours, more variety like this kind of long interviews. I mean, there are so many questions you can ask! For example: what made Jack Bruce have so strong hands to play those walking bass lines or solos? I read somewhere that he played the veena or stuff, and the contrabass made his hands stronger. But there are so many questions ahead. The same with Bootsy Collins. Pedals, wah wahs, psychedelia...and try to connect a type of link between Warwick and other 'wild basses' like the Carl Thompsons of Les Clypool, the 22-24 fretted basses which make this difference for more aggressive bass players.

So...stop now! Best wishes and it's nice to have Florian Barbu back in this site, you make real brilliant articles and varieties on Warwick bass models, all the pics, and that's it. And play a great and fiery bass. ;)

14. Carlos Bill

Carlos Bill

Florian, go to Google, digit in the browser the name YouTube, opens the YouTube page, then, in the browser where you can read Search, digit thecarlosbill, then enter, and opens a page where I'm playing the bass in the videos, in right side. It is with an ex-band. My new band plays blues rock too, but is better, plays more core hard blues and rock than this, and r&b too. Who knows someday, Flo, we can jam together with bands? Thanks, best wishes.

15. JPMorin

JPMorin

Hello there !!
    I'm not really a social media guy and don't want to share all my life with all the planet, and actually I prefer to sneak on this forum, or talkbass, than facebook... lol I do this mostly at my job, on break time since I have no time to chat or post on facebook at home...
    I find this more instructive and interesting... there's much more to learn here !!!

I like thread like this one cause I can discover some new interesting band and see a bit how it goes in the music industry... So I appreciate the call !!

keep rocking everybody !!

16. peted

peted

Well I've been in two bands for a couple of years now, but both of these bands decided to change direction this year (spooky!) so have only played a handful of gigs in 2011. Unfortunately one band didn't survive the transition we started out at the beginning of the year and split a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately this has left me with more time to concentrate on the other band so hoping 2012 will be a busy one with plenty of gigs!

17. yach

yach

Hi there

Hi !

I'm still using Facebook, but hey, nobody's perfect...

I'm fine, and glad to see many peeps here !
    The only thing that is killing me is that I'm waiting for my new custom Streamer, and I can't stand it anymore ;-)

It should be ready in a month or so. I'm like a child one month before christmas :)

18. nick bear

nick bear

it has been a while since i have posted here!

since my last visit ( other than working at my boring job!) i have been busy in bands, mainly touring the uk and hitting europe a bit in a loud rock band.

I have also joined a gypsy jazz band which is great!

19. adrian

adrian

hey boss .. :) nice to hear from you and nice to hear about the new project ..
    About me what can i say .. I just broke up with my girl i'm a lil' sad ,but there's a good part ,i have much more time to concentrate on my bass and my band .. We're moving in the studio and start to record our first album :) .. And this is my major occupation .. Beside this i fill my time with my job and college ..

Cheers .. !! :)

20. Lex

Lex Warwick Endorser

Hey everyone... great idea Flo! So nice to get the email from you mate :)

Things have been hectic in NYC, but going really well.

I have been doing mostly freelance gigs, then concentrating on production/programming in the studio.

Should be on tour in EU early next year, will keep you posted!