Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

How clean sounding is the EBS Microbass II ??

Discussion in 'Maddrakkett's Caffe' started by ThirdthumB, Jan 22, 2008.

1. ThirdthumB

ThirdthumB

Hey all, I have a question about the EBS Microbass II preamp.

I know you can do some nice tweaking on it to give your bass more balls and stuff, but I would like to know if you keep everything set flat, how does it sound ?? Amps like the Ampeg and Mesa colour the sound (midrange mostly), which will give you a more "rock" sound. But I prefer to start from the cleanest possible signal, then tweak it with eq or overdrive for example to get the desired result.
    How does this all work with the EBS ?? Is it clean sounding ?? What (other) clean sounding preamps are there, preferably with a headphone output ?? Cheers all. :D

2. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Yes mate,it's got a very clean sound,as well as a very dirty sound & everything in between.
    The thing i like about it is it preserves your bottom end while adding distortion.It's the best box you can buy.

*edit.
    I know you like to keep everyhting secret but what type of amp do you use?

3. Adrian Ciuplea

Adrian Ciuplea Warwick Endorser

Dude, If you're dead serious, I truly recommend the JH preamp :)

4. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

It's funny that you mentioned that Adrian.
    I asked him what amp he uses so I could tell him to forget about anything else on the market & look into a JH rig.All you need then is cable. :wink:

5. ThirdthumB

ThirdthumB

Hehe,

true indeed. When I bought my first bass (about 8 years ago), I got myself a Hughes & Kettner Bassforce Large combo. It's 100 Watts, 15" woofer, and no tweeter. Back then, I knew nothing about different sounding amps, or basses for that matter. The thumb was just a body part........ :lol:
    What I noticed soon was that even if you play with the combo at moderate volume, all the neighbours will be hearing what I (can't) play. I've never had complaints about this, but I'd rather not find out...........Sometimes I'm considerate. 8) So, since I also play very often at late hours, I stopped using the combo, and just plugged my decent headphones into the Line6 BassPOD. I've been playing like this pretty much all the time when I'm home.
    So, I got the POD because I didn't know anything about effects and stuff, and I didn't want to spend a large sum of money on one pedal that I may not use at all. But what I got to appreciate more about the POD, is all the amp/cab simulators it has. No doubt it's not 100% accurate as the real thing, or maybe it lacks "soul", but I learned a great deal about how different amps can sound. My favourite amp simulators are the Eden (Adam and Eve), and SWR (Session), because those amps give me clean sound. All other amp simulators, no doubt they all sound great and are usefull, have this typical midrange colouration that I dislike initially.
    Anyway, so I like my sound to be super clean, and if I had the space to play bass as loud as I want, I'd be interested in something like the JH, Glockenklang, or Marcbass................But not today. 8)

Cheers. :D

P.S. 1: The Hughes & Kettner combo sounds absolutely HORRIBLE. :x Talking about colouration. :x Seriously lacks bottom end (I think the midrange ate it). Seriously, the sound is so coloured, that I do recognise when I play my Thumb instead of my Yamaha................but really, so much info is just muffled............. :x
    P.S. 2: maybe I will get a Marcbass Micromark with tweeter.......

6. ThirdthumB

ThirdthumB

The "problem" is that I will plug my Thumb to the JH preamp, then that will be plugged to an external headphone amp so I can use headphones. It does work...............but the JH is primarily designed to kick butt differently.........That's why the EBS may be a great solution: it's really small, and you can plug a set of headphones directly: it makes more sense.............But on the condition that it sounds really clean.........

7. ALB

ALB Guest

I use my Microbass II for the exact reasons you stated above. I live in a condo and while my neighbors are usually pretty friendly, I'm sure they'd get tired of me playing at all hours of the night. I bought some Bose headphones for better sound and I can jam at all hours without disturbing anyone.

I came close to selling my Microbass II.....*shudder to think.

I'm actually considering selling my SWR rig (don't really use it) and just sticking with the EBS.

That little preamp is the best piece of musical equipment I've ever purchased.... not counting my Vette.

8. Patrik

Patrik

Gotta love the MBII!!

9. saxonbass

saxonbass

I have to vote for the EBS Microbass II as well! And it is extremely versatile from clean to dirty!

Even if you have a JH (who wouldn't want one), I imagine it would be handy to carry around "just in case", as it's such a good pre-amp/DI... for emergencies!

10. ThirdthumB

ThirdthumB

Well guys,

thanks all for your input. I've been eyeing on this EBS for a long time. It surprised me to read hear how popular and well beloved this little box is. What other non Warwick product is as popular as the EBS ?? I must be getting this little piece of gem, and hey, I can always get the JH preamp later..................(very unlikely). Thanks again guys.

Cheers. :D

11. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

I still use the MXR M-80 Bass DI+, but the EBS looks pretty cool too.

Yeah, the JH stuff is way out of range for me too (and most)...

12. ThirdthumB

ThirdthumB

Nahhh,

you just need to sell one of your Wals :shock: ..........Those suckers are worth a fortune*. :wink:

*nahhhh, keep the Wals. :twisted: