Help with my tone

Reaction score
I have a Gallien-Krueger Backline 600 w/ a GK 4-10" and 1-15".
I know..not the best but its what I could afford.
I'm changing my tone constantly...and I'm trying to make my tone sound "bigger". (More ampegish i guess but i know i'm not gonna sound JUST like it)
The EQ consists of Treble, High mid, Low Mid, Bass, Contour, and Boost.
Main bass: Warwick corvette STD ash

Any suggestions..i just can't get it.

Reaction score
Rim, my only suggestion is the simplist solution possible.

Sell your GK, and get an Ampeg.

I think that should yield the best results.

And, I know they're not cheap, but then again, can you
really put a price on your happiness?

(Yes, I indeed used to be a salesman for a living, and yes,
that line does in fact work very well. :lol:)

Reaction score
well i don't want to get an ampeg..because no matter what..it will sound like an ampeg..which is not what i want. GK's are better for tone manipulation (in my opinion).

someone suggested to me once to get a Sansamp DI driver...what exactly does that do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
...So, you want to SOUND like an Ampeg, but you
don't WANT an Ampeg :confused::confused::confused:

Ooookayyyy.... Maybe look into Line6?

Reaction score
I have a Gallien-Krueger Backline 600 w/ a GK 4-10" and 1-15".
I know..not the best but its what I could afford.
I'm changing my tone constantly...and I'm trying to make my tone sound "bigger". (More ampegish i guess but i know i'm not gonna sound JUST like it)
The EQ consists of Treble, High mid, Low Mid, Bass, Contour, and Boost.
Main bass: Warwick corvette STD ash

Any suggestions..i just can't get it.

Well, nothing is going to get closer to an Ampeg than Ampeg itself, it is true. Modulation is one way the other way is you could buy an Ampeg preamp SVP PRO or similar and plug it into the eff. loop return. In this case you'd be bypass the amp's preamp and be using the ampeg one instead. That is the closest you could get.
I wouldn't normally suggest this, but you could try cutting the upper mids, boosting a bit of bass and highs, it would give a sense of a deeper bass sound. the contour control should do the same, try cutting mids, I suspect that those are the ones bothering you.
but don't blame me if you can't cut through after that.

=g=

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Once you really know how an ampeg sounds, it's voiceing, you can reproduce this with other gear.
Sans amp, preocessors... bad idea IMHO.

800 Hz is your friend.
Cut lows, below 30 40 hz. Roll off really high treble a little., and find your sweet spots with the mids.
Leave the bass correction alone :)
Cheers, Flo

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Once you really know how an ampeg sounds, it's voiceing, you can reproduce this with other gear.
Sans amp, preocessors... bad idea IMHO.

800 Hz is your friend.
Cut lows, below 30 40 hz. Roll off really high treble a little., and find your sweet spots with the mids.
Leave the bass correction alone :)
Cheers, Flo

Reaction score
Well, nothing is going to get closer to an Ampeg than Ampeg itself, it is true. Modulation is one way the other way is you could buy an Ampeg preamp SVP PRO or similar and plug it into the eff. loop return. In this case you'd be bypass the amp's preamp and be using the ampeg one instead. That is the closest you could get.
I wouldn't normally suggest this, but you could try cutting the upper mids, boosting a bit of bass and highs, it would give a sense of a deeper bass sound. the contour control should do the same, try cutting mids, I suspect that those are the ones bothering you.
but don't blame me if you can't cut through after that.

=g=

oh...i will drop to my knees and curse your name to the heavens
;-)

but yes i think its the mids...and i think its the bass too..b/c i think the MEC's don't give off their own tone..mostly just the tone of the strings and wood IMO. but please correct me if i'm wrong. but i finally have my jazz bass in a playable state as of this morning so i'll give that a try. i dropped a set of Duncan 1/4 lb's in it.

Reaction score
oh...i will drop to my knees and curse your name to the heavens
;-)

but yes i think its the mids...and i think its the bass too..b/c i think the MEC's don't give off their own tone..mostly just the tone of the strings and wood IMO. but please correct me if i'm wrong. but i finally have my jazz bass in a playable state as of this morning so i'll give that a try. i dropped a set of Duncan 1/4 lb's in it.

please don't do that! lol

I agree, the bass control should be left alone. It is like Florin mentioned, mids are your friend, but if you can't find the sound you like, try cutting them, it will sure sound rounder and thicker.
=g=

Reaction score
well, i pretty much solved my problem...it was a few minutes before a show we were gonna play. we stopped by this local music store my guitarist used to work in..and I saw it..a used and in good condition 8-10" Carvin cab. i pretty much got it for less than $200. i played the show with it..and it sounded HUGE. So I pretty much solved my dillema. --Just my old cabs sucked

Reaction score
You want more punch in your sound?
Boost mids, especially low mids.
Try to use more of the neck pickup on your bass to.

Top Bottom