Help with Hard Shell Case

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum and new to Warwick. I just bought my first Warwick... a Corvette Double Buck Short Scale 30" . I would like to get a proper fitting hard shell case for it. Any suggestions? Thanks, Frank

Reaction score
Hi Frank,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your best bet is to contact a local dealer and have them special order a Warwick Hardshell case for you. When they place the order they will need to know what model it is for (if they tell you that they don't ....go somewhere else, all the cases are "made" to fit specfic models.)

I see your a fellow Long Islander. Where you at?

Rob

Reaction score
Frank,

I'm in Mineola.

I might be able to help you with the case situation. Let me talk to my buddy.

Rob

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Hello there,
I am about to buy a Corvette Ash 32" and was interested in your experience with an even shorter scale Warwick. How is the sound? I suspect the shorter scale (less string tension) might result in less punch from the $$. What string gauge does it wear? Did you give specific instructions as to how the instrument was set up at Warwick?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hello Jester, I played a 30" Thumb B/O that a guitarist I know owns. I frequently have the chance to pick it up and play it. I always liked the way it played and how it felt but thought the tone was best when used to churn out the low end. I normally play an Alembic Essence short scale with stainless GHS Super Steels... sounds just like a piano. I like a bright sound with good bottom. I wasn't able to dial in the piano brightness that I desired on the Thumb. Then again it wasn't mine so I was limited on things like changing the type of strings. But it played great! No floppy E string. Nice and tight. My short scale Alembic is like that too. It actually uses medium scale strings due to the bridge/string retainer location.

I recently had the opportunity to buy the Corvette Double Buck 30" from the original owner on eBay who had it a short time. Once I knew it was available I visited the Sam Ash here and they had a 34" Double Buck. I played that bass every chance I got over the past two weeks and I loved the tone. I actually stopped there and played it again tonight. It is very versatile. Rumbles yet can be bright. It doesn't have a fundamental tone that is always present no matter how you dial it in like I found the Thumb to have. Lots of very usable tonal variations. SO... once I knew I loved the tone of the $$ and I already loved the feel of the 30" neck (same 30" neck on both basses), I bought the 30" $$ and am awaiting delivery. Should have it next week and I hope to use it at our March 4th gig here.

I can't comment on the punch from the 30"$$ since I don't have it yet. The Alembic is incredible! VERY punchy. I jack up the 80 hz slider on my Ampeg 3Pro and you feel the "thump" in your chest. The punch on the 30" Thumb I played is excellent too and I would think you would need to play a 30" and 34" side by side to hear if there is a difference... something I have not done. I asked Warwick about the strings on the $$. Rob Busch responded. They use the Black Label medium .045-.105 long scale strings and snip them to the desired length. I normally set up my other short scale basses with .018 relief at the 8th fret on the E. I set the action on the E and A at 7/64" at the 12th fret and 3/32" on the D and G. I need to play the $$ a while before I decide how I want to set her up, the strings I want to use, etc. It will be a labor of love... Frank

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Thanks for the info! If possible, post some photos of the $$ when you get it!

Reaction score
I hope these open when you click on them...

This is the Double Buck 30" I bought off eBay. I'll take some pix of my own as soon as I get my hot little hands on it. These pix are from the eBay ad. It is satin honey violin. Supposed to be like new. You can see why I bought this one...yes?

Reaction score
I got the 30" $$ Friday. Very, very sweet. I play an Alembic Essence short scale too. The string tension on the Warwick is not an issue. The E is just fine. Lots of growl too. The only thing I can comment on is an old story with Warwicks...the neck is thick. Much thicker than my Alembic but then you already know that the neck profiles are on the fat side. Set up was good...relief was 0.018" at the 8th fret. Action was 3/32" at the E and A and 2/32" at the D and G. Intonation was out a few cents but easily fixed. The bass was bought new in October 2005 and wasn't used much according to the original owner. Strange thing is that the black finish is worn off or the E and A saddle tops (?). Is the black finish that sensative to contact with the hand that it completely wears off?? The bass is otherwise close to mint. I tried a side by side test with a set of GHS SuperSteel strings but found that the Black Labels sounded fatter. I will try a set of Black Label's on my Alembic real soon. I also needed to use the -15dB button on my Ampeg 3Pro head when I had the active electronics activated. This is something I don't have to do with my Alembic which has passive pickups and active electronics. Are the $$ pickups actually active when the preamp is turned on or are they always passive? The tones were very punchy in active and in passive modes.

The tone controls are very useful...no bad sounds so far. I like it with the pickup pan in the middle, bass on 100% boost and treble on about 80% boost. I need to experiment more with the pickup switches. They don't alter the sound a lot but change the volume/presence of the associated pickup. I will learn more at "gig volume" at rehearsal tomorrow. Frank

Top Bottom