Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Help me pick my new bass amp

Discussion in 'Maddrakkett's Caffe' started by WVH, Dec 30, 2008.

Tags:
  1. WVH

WVH

Hey guys, not sure if I should have posted this somewhere else in the forum but here it goes. I am in the market for a new bass amp. I currently have a Fender bassman 400 pushing two (individual) McCauley 15's. The rig sounds pretty decent, but as I am evolving into to bass player I feel the urge for more power! Now the 15's are rated @ 400w each so I am looking at somewhere in the range of 500w to 800w rms. Some of the brands I have been looking at are: SWR, Markbass, Ampeg, Trace, line six and Gallien-Krueger. I play hard to heavy rock, but I do occasionally goof around with other genres. Not sure if I want the whole tube set up like my guitar rig. Maybe a tube pre amp and solid state output, or maybe even all solid state. I want the amp to be pretty clean. So if you guys could give me some direction in whats good, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. golem

golem Philosopher King

I think you're on the borderline between integrated amps
    and portable rackmount. So, just in case you evolve yet
    again, and even sooner than you expect to, maybe you
    should go this time with the rackpack instead of waiting.

3. james brunnning

james brunnning

+1 If you go with a rack setup you can add or up the power amps and keep the sound you like.With the rack the only limit will be how strong your back is to move the stuff.With your current rig can you add more speaker cabs :?: or switch to 8-10"cabs,some of those have real high sound pressure levels.

4. Mr Bassman Sax

Mr Bassman Sax

If you want something clean try the Warwick X-TREME. Very adjustable and reliable with plenty of reserve power.

Or for the a little bit of warmth and grit try the Tubepath. The advantage of Warwick amps is they are cheaper, without being cheap.

5. elpelotero

elpelotero

Check out Eden!

6. Andrew O

Andrew O

SWR and Dr Bass make some cool enclosures. Dr Bass is cheap, and they get good reviews too. www.drbasscabs.com

7. nizzrooster

nizzrooster

I've always found myself drooling over Markbass stuff. Even the little 1-12" combo is a frickin' monster.

I like that fact that there stuff is so small and light weight yet it blows away just about anything else. They have that Little Mark that's 500watts and probably weighs about 5 pounds and a 750 watt head that cant weigh much more then 10 pounds.

8. bassoctopus

bassoctopus

Try a Thunderfunk if you can find one.

I posted some clips on here a while back. I love mine (and the name is cool too) :)