Help!!! Is this Bubinga or what

Lex

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
It looks like Afzelia to me...

Reaction score
So you guys mean that the sandwiched wood in the neck is gotta be Azfelia/wenge???

Lex

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
The body wings are Afzelia

The neck is wenge/afzelia

The close up of the body grain gives it away

Reaction score
so the Streamer stage II was never made Wenge/bubinga as a standard????

Reaction score
The body wings are Afzelia

The neck is wenge/afzelia

The close up of the body grain gives it away

What they all said; without a doubt Afzelia body with Afzelia/Wenge neck and Wenge fingerboard.

Reaction score
weird i looked at the wood list and azfelia is way less dark than this(i know what you are gonna say,the bass is old) but there´s a a repair on the bass where you could se the bare color and is just as dark...

And not trying to be rude or anything is just that this bass looks very different or more like a thumb:(

Lex

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
It's wood... its organic, and inconsistent as far as coloring goes. Having said that, it's way more orange than bubinga... bubinga at that age would be expected to be a dark reddish brown color.

The grain in the close up pics are what I'm using to identify this as afzelia. It's the same as what I see when I look at my afzelia bass.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
This is the way Afzelia looks after a while. I've had one only 3 years old and it was pretty dark already.

Reaction score
weird i looked at the wood list and azfelia is way less dark than this(i know what you are gonna say,the bass is old) but there´s a a repair on the bass where you could se the bare color and is just as dark...

And not trying to be rude or anything is just that this bass looks very different or more like a thumb:(

Check out the SSII that I had for sale in the 'Sale' section, it is an identical colour to this.

Reaction score
I'm with you Basscisco. It looks like bubinga to me too. With a bubinga wenge neck as well.

Lex

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
Ok.

Look at the grain on this:

9090.jpg

Then compare to this

IMG_7874.jpg

IMG_7876.jpg

The only difference is the shade of color. Look closely at the grain, especially in the curves of the cutaway.

I'd still say its Afzelia. I'm sure a Serial Number check could prove me wrong?

Reaction score
100% afzelia

Although there have been some SSII made standard with bubinga body in the early years. I've seen one on this forum once.

Reaction score
OK!!!!

thank God you guys are not mormons otherwise i could have been coverted already...

Thank you all for your help!!!...

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Mormons are those guys with more wives?
Anyway, this is a bass I would definetly buy in a second.

Reaction score
Anyone with an afzelia bass will go with that being afzelia.

While I'm not Mormon (LDS) I do live in Utah and know a lot. None are polygamists, probably because the church abolished polygamy toward the end of the 19th century. Most are very decent people.

Top Bottom