Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Help! I need a new nut!!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Mush, Jul 24, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Mush

Mush

My adjust-a-nut on my thumb bolt-on just cracked on the side for unknown reasons :( I cant seem to find where to get a replacement on the net...any help would be greatly appriciated.

2. Escobon

Escobon

3. odominguez

odominguez Guest

If you are within the USA, please contact Rob Busch at Dana B. Goods. E-Mail address: [email protected]

If you are not within the USA, contact your country's distributor or your favorite dealer. You can find a list of distributors on our website.

4. SS4Luck

SS4Luck

wow i was just about to post up the exact same thing but on my 4 string vette.... anyone else ever have these break or know why they do?

5. boston asphalt2

boston asphalt2 Official Forum Pain in the Ass

seems the plastic ic very very brittle. I cracked the nut on my Thumb las night while doing a full setup :( Time to order a new one.

6. yakudza

yakudza

Hello, I had the same break on my Rock Bass :? The nut was brocken and glued when I buy it, so I didn't know about this break, until I changed my strings. So I :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: and then made new simple plastik nut by my hands for a 3-4 hours, and I'm happy with it :p :D

7. Benedict

Benedict

yep the right side of mine snapped off through no acts of mis use it just came off, pretty disapointing considering the price of the bass, cost cutting shouldnt have included sacraficed the nut, i dont care what warwick say about how good this super composite new nut is, it aint as good as the brass ones.

8. SS4Luck

SS4Luck

i hope i can get a new one soon, i have shows friday of this week and next week and i just dont feel safe on stage with it broken and swinging around and what not

9. boston asphalt2

boston asphalt2 Official Forum Pain in the Ass

It should be alright, Ive found the strings hold it down well when they are on the bass. Good luck!

10. jay

jay

Is a brass replacement readily available?

11. Oil Can

Oil Can

Yes, I went down that road a few months back with my fretless 'Vette.
    Dana B. Goods supplied me with a new nut, free of charge and their bass tech and general all-around-good-guy Rob Busch provided excellent instructions to mount the new nut, which only takes a few minutes. It's no big problem.

12. jay

jay

Was your new nut the same as the one that broke or was it brass Oilcan?

13. Men-O

Men-O

Personally I find it unbelievable that Warwick uses a plastic nut. Or at least uses plastic that won't crack easily. Or am I missing the point here?

14. Patrik

Patrik

Oliver,

I'm sure you're on the case already. You see a lot of unsatisfied "nut" customers here. I bet you've already fed this back to Markneukirchen, Germany. If not, what's the deal?

Cheers,

Patrik

15. jay

jay

This always comes up when someone calls it plastic, which it isn't. It is wilferite, so here's a quote from Ollie:

About the material: Wilferite is a combination of Graphite and ABS material which lubricates the string movement by itself.

The point is that they are fragile though and maybe a sturdier/more expensive material should be used. The usual response is to keep an extra one in you gig bag, but I also believe there is a problem if so many keep breaking. I haven't broken mine but I plan to order a spare for when it breaks...

16. Patrik

Patrik

OK Jay, but it doesn't matter which material it is actually. Being it PP, PE, PET, Graphite, brass or Kevlar. It shouldn't break! At least not with the quantity of people who had the problem in this thread.

I'm new with Warwick and I'm just worried. I don't want to be blunt here but keeping a spare "nut" in case it breaks during a gig is not an option.

Are there any general maintenance tricks which keeps them from breaking. Are people doing things wrong during adjusting nuts ,as they break?

I'm writing in a happy but worried tone .... just to be clear.

Cheers!

17. jay

jay

Scubadiver,
    If I wasn't clear, I totally agree w/ you. I was just posting what always comes up when just-a-nut II's are discussed. I don't think they should break at all, unless they are obviously abused (but we all know they are prone to breaking). I believe that changing your strings outside first, (E/B then G). Next do the middle strings one at a time. This helps to keep from putting uneven tension on one side. If your taking all your strings off then also do it in this manner, and reinstall the strings in the same manner. Hope this helps, and yes I think they should find a better material than Wilferite...

18. Patrik

Patrik

Thanks Jay!

I'll keep your suggestion in mind when I change the strings for the first time on my vette $$

I'm developing materials in the area of polyolefines etc. ... and other areas as well. The name "Wilferite" is most likley a tradename. The formulation behind it is in all due respect kept by warwick and their suppliers. Suggestion: Make it toughter! :lol:

19. Oil Can

Oil Can

Yeah, my nuts (the ones on my basses I mean) are all graphite Just-A-Nut-II's.

I've been intrigued with the idea of going to a brass nut to see if the timbre of the open strings more closely matches a note fretted on a bell-brass fret, but I never got around to actually checking into it.

20. odominguez

odominguez Guest

Yes, the people in Markneukirchen know everything that goes in this forum, this being on of the main reasons of its existence. The JAN II is an updated version of the JAN I we used to have back in the day. The way we did it was to design a new nut that would please all of the complaints about the first one, right now we are looking at some minor issues with the JAN II, and as soon as we come up with a viable solution, it will be posted in this forum for everyone to know. Thanks a lot for your understanding and patience.