Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Headstock Camera - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Bass Pickups & Electronics' started by eyvindwa, Oct 3, 2018.

1. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Good morning everyone (well, it is morning here in Norway, anyway).

For some upcoming gigs with my band, we are planning to make a live video, and I figured it would be fun to have some kind of camera attached to my bass, kind of like the "Nollycam" videos:

Has anyone done this? I'm playing a Thumb NT5, so weight is obviously important if I'm to attach it to the headstock :D

I have looked at the various GoPro offerings, but their smallest camera, the Hero5 Session seems to be discontinued, and nothing with the same form factor is in their current offering.

Does anyone have recommendations for this kind of action camera?

Hoggles likes this.
  2. Hector

Hector Moderator Staff Member

3. whirltex

whirltex

Adam Clapton
    For a first camera, you don't need to spend that much. Today's $150 cameras have a lot of capability. The number one thing to remember about photography is that, at its core, it is about capturing the light. Learning to read the light, and any post processing you do will apply to pictures you take with any camera. And, you can get very nice pictures with an inexpensive camera, today.

If you want to get into it as a hobbyist, then you'll want a camera that has some manual controls that you can adjust without having to open a menu. Either a ring on the front or, at the least, buttons on the back of the camera that can adjust as you watch. Some inexpensive cameras are better at that than others.

As others have said, the precise subjects you want to capture will change what features are most important to you. The best way for you to figure that out is to get an inexpensive camera and practice. Practice a lot. Take a bazillion pictures of the subjects that you like. After using it for a while, you'll soon run up against shortcomings in your inexpensive camera. At that point, you'll have the experience you need to look at more expensive cameras and choose one that will likely fit your needs for a long time.

People here can tell you their favorite camera. Some will tell you what they like about their current camera and what they didn't like about their previous camera. All good information, do pay attention. But, which make and model you like is very much personal preference. You need the experience, first.