Good Rackmount Compressor?

Reaction score
I'm after a decent rackmount compressor. I've been googling a few different brand names and so far I like the compressors that DBX make.
Anyone know of any good compressors?

Cheers,

Tom

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Hey Tom,

If you want to go budget, look for a second hand Symetrix 501 (they are not making new ones anymore) The ones with toggle power switch are better for bass ;-) Even if you find it at 80 USD, be aware that is one of the best...

If you want do go hardcore, than EL Distressor :)

Reaction score
I am pretty sure 99% of suggestions would be dbx 160A, I used to have one too. A great tool, if you ask me, but tends to cut highs at higher compression levels.

Reaction score
I am pretty sure 99% of suggestions would be dbx 160A, I used to have one too. A great tool, if you ask me, but tends to cut highs at higher compression levels.

what do you mean by cutting at higher compression levels?

Reaction score
what do you mean by cutting at higher compression levels?

The more compression you use, the greater your high end tends to disappear. For example, your sound will be much darker, rounder and undefined with 10:1 compression than with 2:1 compression.

Regarding your EQ: generally... as your compression ratio increases, your bass freq (80-100) hz should decrease and your treble freq (2K-3K hz) should increase to compensate for the compression. Use your ears and listen to how the bass sits IN THE MIX. If you don't cut a little bass, your tone will become undefined and way too fat. Also, your treble will begin to disappear.

Use care with compression on the bass. In the wrong hands, your tone will turn to undefined, thunderous mud in an instant - even with the best, studio grade compressors.

The best compressor resides within your own fingertips!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
This is a good read on compression.
Compressor reviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom