Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Good Flats Set For Downtuning

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by jester, Jan 21, 2019.

1. jester

jester ocdemon Moderator

Yanni
    Hello guys,

a friend of mine that plays six string basses wants to set up his bass with a quality set of flats but they will be tuned one step down. He normally plays TI flats which apparently are superb strings, but after we looked a bit into them, the tension of some strings (namely E and A) may be a bit too low so right hand feel could be floppy and perhaps tone compromised as well. Can you guys recommend a good set of flats that pull something like a set of roundwound 45s or even a bit more than that? If we get the approximate feel of normally tuned 40s we 're good to go. By the way, the bass is a sixer bubinga Corvette.

What follows is a quick comparison of TIs with a set of 40 and a set of 45 D'Addario nickels to illustrate my reservations for downtuned TIs.

[​IMG]

Thanks!
    -

2. imabuddha

imabuddha

Perhaps a set of medium Chromes, or La Bella 1954? Both of those are high tension.

DiMarco likes this.
  3. jester

jester ocdemon Moderator

Yanni
    Thanks @imabuddha! It seems to me that D'Addario does not make a six string Chromes set. :-/

LaBella does however, and they have a number of different gauges for their flats, so the tension spectrum is quite fine grained:

Standard Tension: .029, .045, .065, .085, .105, .128T
    Medium Tension: .029, .049, .069, .089, .109, .128
    Heavy (1954): .029, .052, .073, .095, .110., .128

They also have lighter sets which I haven't included. If we go down that way it will require a bit of guesswork. If anyone can help with that or is aware of other possible options, please let me know.

imabuddha likes this.