Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Good distortion pedal?

Discussion in 'Bass Pedals, Effects & Preamps' started by Doc, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Doc

Doc

To be honest, I am too lazy and time-constrained to search through past threads, so forgive me if this is a redundancy.

After years of flat-out refusing to use effects, I am all but forced to get a distortion pedal due to some upcoming songs I'll be playing. I hate even the thought of it...

So, anyway, I don't want to spend a lot. Should I go multi-effects or a designated distortion pedal? Which one?

2. JSmith

JSmith

3. Nachobassman

Nachobassman Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!

If you only want overdrive/distortion, forget a multieffect unit, get a single pedal, and, as JSmith said, an EHX Bass Big Muff is a great pedal and not too expensive, so it´s a nice sound to start...

BTW, what happend with : "pedals are for bicycles"? :roll:

4. siderocks

siderocks Fatass

Muff is great but it has a very particular distortion sound. Check some Youtube clips to find out if it's your cup of tea. If you're into modern distortion Ibanez PD7 is pretty good and maintains a good bottom. The distortions in multieffects are usually very crappy. If you're also in need of a good preamp/DI check MXR M80 bass d.i.. It has a great distortion integrated.

5. jester

jester ocdemon

Yanni
    Doc, I used to feel like that about distortion as well. Now there are parts in songs I would not even imagine playing without distortion. You blend nicely with the guitars instead of sitting under them, and there's general sonic mayhem. Again this is only for specific things, in other cases you just need the definition and bottom of clean sound. :) I have a PD7 and it's a pretty nice pedal although a little noisy, but with a full band you will not notice a thing. I am also expecting a used MXR M80 which I suspect I will like even more. I would suggest checking out these two as well.

6. Heliospan

Heliospan

Boss DS-1. I have used one on my bass in the past and every now and again these days. It does the job. you will have to tweek your EQ a bit because it takes alot of the bottom end out. But that you can fix. Plus there cheap as dirt. 30 to 40$. if you don't want to drop a load of cash one, you cant beat that.

7. Pedro

Pedro

Avoid the Boss overdrive pedal, I had 1 and it really didn't do it for me.

8. lasteffect

lasteffect Forum Nudist

Personally, I like both the Tech 21 Red Ripper and Bass Big Muff Pi. The Red Ripper can give you classic fuzz with alot of lows, and so can the Bass Big Muff with the bass boost switch.

But the Red Ripper can also be used as a Synth and even sound like octave fuzz too.

9. Augie

Augie The Desert Bass-ape

It really depends on the sound you want. Personally i hated the big muff and EHX bass balls, the sound to me is synthy, thin and doesn't cut well and just isn't distorted enough. I use a Boss ODB-3, its not perfect but i dont mind it. I think you can get a bigger, nastier distortion out of it than most EHX pedals, plus it has a blend. I also use a MXR blowtorch for light, always on fuzz/distortion. The tech 21 sansamp Di are very versatile, and the programmable ones are great if you want different tones form one box. All ic an say is to try a bunch, and i think a pedal with a bit of EQ control and an effect/dry blend will be more versatile than one without.

Just my opinions, but i like my distortion to be REALLY distorted, really snarly and nasty.

10. Avram

Avram Thread Killer

I have been scrutinizing bass distortion for the past couple of months. Granted, I have mostly compared specs and features only, but for all the features included, I haven't found one with more to offer a bassist than the James LoMenzo HyperDrive.

The thing I like most about it is the ability to add distortion to only the mid-frequencies, thus leaving the lows clean, and thus loss less. And of course, these distorted mid frequencies can be adjusted themselves, and then mixed in with a clean setting, giving a wide range of tone control. Seems to keep the low end where it belongs, and true-bypass.

Some EQ/DI type boxes like the EBS MicroBass II do this also, sort of, but the JLMHD is a stand alone bass driver, and $132. If you can get to a place that has one, try it out. Um... and let the rest of us know how it sounds!

Just a suggestion for consideration, as again, I haven't actually hooked one up to my bass. Of course, James seems to like it! :)

11. james brunnning

james brunnning

i used t ouse a eq pedal with mine to kick up the lows,but i never ran it slone,one amp was clean the other had distorton,but i only used it when the guitar player soloed,so it was sort of like having a rythem guitar.i play metal and some songs don't sound right with out a rythem guitar.i have try'd a lot of pedals still haven't found onei totaly like.

12. Doc

Doc

Thanks to all of you. The EQ thing is a big concern as I don't want to be fussing with anything while playing. I always stayed away from effects because, IMO, if you're going to use that kind of stuff you can play any bass and it'll sound the same as the next. I LOVE the Warwick sound - it's become my signature in our area and no one else sounds like me.

Anyhoo, I went on YouTube and listened to some of the demos (including our very own lasteffect's "Red Ripper" video). After hearing numerous ones, I think I'm probably going to go with the Boss ODB-3 due to its more tight sound. The rest all have their good points, but that's the closest to what I'm looking for. If it takes lows out, since I boost my mids to a reverse smile, I'll just switch my DI to pre-eq to get it fatter.

The Big Muff sounds great, too, but reminds me too much of the old Peavey amp heads with the distortion knob - great fuzzy distortion but a little "loose" for my taste and more stoner than metal.

Again, I appreciate the comments and suggestions - you guys, as always, came through.

13. JSmith

JSmith

Doc, I have both an ODB-3 and the Big Muff and I have to agree, the Big Muff is a looser more raunchy distorted sound while the ODB-3 is more focused distortion. The ODB seems less gutsy to me but that's the differences in the distortion effect. I find the Big Muff to step out better in a live situation than the ODB-3.

14. bassoctopus

bassoctopus

I love the POD X3 Live, as it allows you to have two tones and eq them seperately.

There's an example of my distortion sound in the New Bass thread I posted the other day.

Might be a bit over budget, but it is the best FX unit I've ever used for bass and doubles up as a superb recording tool too.

15. BassAccusation

BassAccusation

got the bass big muff this summer, it is amazing!

16. Callum

Callum

Youtube is a great place to look, if you know what sound you are after with distortion that really helps. It took me about 3-4 months to finally settle on my distortion, (Way Huge Pork Loin). My first criteria was to retain the low end of the tone and have a clean/wet blend, and second was i wanted more of a lighter overdriven sound just to add some grit, it can go to a medium distortion . That said it isn't a cheap pedal but no pedals <£100 really did that for me. After looking on youtube i narrowed it down to a few pedals and then went out an tried them, only really after doing that was i able to really decide on what pedal worked for me.

From the pedals i've tried:

Light distortion: Way Huge Pork Loin or Catlinbread SFT (for Ampeg SVT sound, personally prefer it over the sansamp VT)
    Medium to heavy: Aguilar Agro pedal (i had a tone hammer and this has the distortion circuit which is really nice but has more tweaking) - give a nice scooped sound if you like that.

or if you have a load of cash get a dark glass B3K distortion pedal which just sounds amazing!

17. jester

jester ocdemon

Yanni
    I just picked up the MXR M-80 DI+ from de post office. This pedal is fckin amazing, it's as if it was designed for me! The distortion character is exactly what I want, warm and balanced not buzzy or sounding too processed or harsh, simply amazing. The 3-band eq and the color switch are just awesome and so is the noise gate. It's got just the right knobz on it, no more no less, and it's extremely easy and fast to tweak and get different tones. This pedal has just killed 2 pedals from my setup, a sansamp programmable di and an ibanez pd7 overdrive. The tone hammer *might* stay before the mxr because of sweepable mids and some boost I need to make the mxr even phatter. Overall, I just love this pedal and the funny thing is it's the first one I got used. :)

18. Hammerdin_930

Hammerdin_930

Hey Jester, glad to know that someone here in the forum likes MXR M-80 DI+. I never tried it yet, but watching the video clip on Youtube makes my mouth water. Although buying a pedal is the least in my priority now, I have loved the sound of the M-80.