Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Giving My Corvette Proline New Life

Discussion in 'Bass Hardware, Setup & Repair' started by madmortar, Jun 20, 2019.

1. madmortar

madmortar

Hey Guys,
    So I own a 2002 Warwick Profile 4 string. I used it pretty much daily for around 10 years while I was playing in a number of bands. Since 2014 my job moved we around the country and add a few kids into the mix, well i have not had much time to play.
    I am finally at a spot in my life where I can start picking it up a few times a week but it needs some attention and cleaning. Can you guys give me your best advise on the below? I know a good set up and new strings are in order but I want to try and freshen up the wood and hardware.

Body - Its blue in color so I think it just needs lemon oil to clean it up?

Neck - I noticed that the top and middle of the neck are very smooth and have a satin sheen to them but the bottom of the neck feels dry and no pop, almost like the finish is gone? Would a simple cleaning with lemon oil help bring it back to life? Or i have heard of people using gun cleaner to help polish it back up and re hydrate.

Fingerboard - Lemon oil?

Brass frets - Tape off fingerboard and use steal wool to clean off the tarnish?

Hardware - It has gold hardware and its very dirty full of grime. Any cleaners out there that will make it look new again without stripping off the color? Also, if i were to remove the bridge for a deep cleaning....do those parts need to be re-installed at a specific torque? Or just handtighten everyhing back down to the body of the bass?

Thanks!!

2. A.G.E.N.T.E.

A.G.E.N.T.E.

I guess you need to know what kind of finish does your bass have. Lemon oil on the body? never used that. maybe a fresh coat of wax or maybe just a good cleaning with some standard furniture dust cleaner...again depends on the finish . Maybe some pictures will help.

Natural oil finish? maybe just a new coat of wax will bring it back to life
    That will work

Yup and don´t forget to cover your PU´s or they will end up full of that steel wool remains.

For deep cleaning i would remove the top part of the bridge and give it a good cleaning with mild water and neutral soap not to damage the gold finish. An old thooth brush can be usefull here. ( beware not to loose any of those small screws or sadles) After that, some WD40 (or similar) to lubricate and prevent corrosion
    And yes , you can do it all by hand.

3. kimgee

kimgee Wenge Taste Tester Good Vibe Sponsor

depends on who's asking
    For cleaning the frets, this is the thing to use:

Gorgomyte Fret And Fingerboard Conditioner

No taping, no mess, and works like a champ. The cloth will turn black as it removes the oxidation, so you need to keep folding/repositioning the cloth as you go.

I would use a fretboard conditioner on the fretboard wood. I use this:

Fretboard Cleaner and Conditioner - F-ONE Oil for Rosewood, Ebony, Maple - MusicNomad - Music Nomad

According to Warwick, if there is a color on the body, then it is sealed, and all you need to use is a good quality cleaner. This is a good choice:

Guitar Cleaner and Detailer for Gloss and Satin Finishes - MusicNomad - Music Nomad

After having corrosion issues on the hardware on some of my basses, I started using this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AJWN62/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All of these products are available from numerous retailers.
    Good luck with your restoration!

PaulS likes this.
  4. madmortar

madmortar

Awesome! Thank you both for your advice.
    Yes, the finish is sealed, it is Ocean Blue Oil finish.

For the dry part of my neck, would I use any of those a/m products?

Someone on this forum mentioned Birchwood Casey Stock & Sheen Conditioner for hydrating the wood

5. madmortar

madmortar

A.G.E.N.T.E. likes this.
  6. kimgee

depends on who's asking
    The wax is mainly to protect the parts you touch frequently........like the tuners and knobs. But I still apply it to all the metal hardware. The trick is to use it VERY sparingly, and just apply a thin film on the bridge. So after you do all the other hardware and there is only a residue left on the cloth, then you wipe the bridge.

7. A.G.E.N.T.E.

A.G.E.N.T.E.

Sorry @kimgee , but i can`t see the point of adding wax to the hardware. AFAIK , there´s nothing there to prevent corrosion of metal pieces. Plus, the majority of the beeswax available have solvents added to facilitate it´s use. I wouldn`t aply that , specially to gold hardware.

8. kimgee

depends on who's asking
    If you look at the link for the wax, it's not beeswax. This wax was originally developed by a museum for preservation purposes, and it does a good job of that.

A.G.E.N.T.E. likes this.
  9. A.G.E.N.T.E.

A.G.E.N.T.E.

I´ve just wached a few videos about it and that´s interesting for sure. Living and learning :)