Fretless Fascination

Reaction score
Wal Mk II
Manson Kestrel
Pedulla Pentabuzz

You know nothing special but all unlined fives—and only dots on the side, in other words topless!

Speaking of dots on the side, how did you do the bullet list?

I played BassChat owner Steve CK's Pedulla a few years back, a remarkable instrument
IIRC he had changed the Bartolini's to Alembics

Dazed

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Isn't this the studio version?

Didn’t listen to it but I assume so.

It was from an interview with Alannah Myles, the bass was a synth line played by the producer of the track. Other mentions of a live bass being sampled and played back on synth.

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Some good tips from Jack throughout this vid....

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
True, I'd link to the article about it but I'm hopeless

I guess I need only look into what a fretless synth sound can do, even those from the time of this song.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Haha funny article. But it ain't so hard to play fretless to be honest. My fretless is unlined and only has dot markers on the side of the neck at 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th and so on frets.
Over the last weeks, since my current fretless is new and has a custom made neck, I kept pushing the instrument into unsuspecting bass- and guitar players hands yelling "have a go!".

Those who had problems finding the positioning of fingers all improved a whole lot within 5 minutes already. My current guitarist Daniel even played perfect pitch right from the start.
I simply told the guys playing: Let one open string drone along to find the right position easily since that gives you something to relate to. This helped them heaps. Once you've found the right spot, muscle memory will do the rest for you.

Proper left hand positioning (ie don't always use your index finger as a starting point!) does help a lot though I must add.

In short: Don't fret. Playing a fretless is not at all hard.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Grand master Yiotis & co. Incidentally he is the original recording artist on the previous video I posted (O Aggelos).

Top Bottom