Fret Buzz Of 6 String Nt Thumb

Reaction score
So I took my Warwick 6 string Neck Thru Thumb bass out of the case for the first time in a while and it's now fretting out at about the 20th fret or so on the A, D, G and C strings. My immediate thought is that it may need a truss for adjustment. I took out my fret rocker just to check and there are a couple spots where it's rocking in the upper register, which is curious because I don't recall having this issue the last time I played it.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts? Simple truss rod adjustment or could some fret sprout have occurred?

Hector

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know not of basses, but on my guitars fret buzz comes with the seasons.

If the neck/truss rod was adjusted in summer, it likely will have issues in colder weather / winter due to differences in temperature, humidity and what not making the wood expand, contract etc.

If you don't posses the skills to adjust it, you may want to take it to luthier for a setup / diagnose the fret buzzing.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Tightening or loosening the truss rod will have little to no impact at that area of the neck I'm afraid... Unless you want to settle for higher action.
I had the exact same problem with my nineties Dolphin Pro1 5 and ended up getting the last couple of fret sanded, which completely solved the problem.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yes the truss rod adjustment doesn't seem to have made any positive impact, just raised the action basically. Looks like I may need to do a little fret leveling, unfortunately.

StreamerII84

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
Real Name
Alex
I try to get the action the best where i play the most. If the action is great on the lower strings below the 15th fret with buzz above, i can live with it. I've seen your issue with new and old basses, just how things work sometime specially when you have a 26 fret 6 string instrument. As stated, just some small fretwork needed, if it plays great with a near flat truss rod and low action with buzz near the 2oth frets than its still a great instrument.

Top Bottom