Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Framus S-360 Red Cherry project

Discussion in 'How To & DIY' started by ferro, Apr 14, 2016.

1. ferro

ferro

Good Evening,

I found out that a friend of mine had a beautiful Framus solid body guitar s-360 red cherry, but unfortunately it was kept in a very bad condition, so i decided to bring it back to life.
    But in order to do that without loosing its value, I decided to keep all the original parts. For this reason i would like your experienced suggestions by kindly answering the following questions:

- It has many chips and lacquer cracks that I want to fix. Is it better to sand down the lacquer and repaint it with a polyurethane finish? Or is it better to fix them one by one? Is the original finish nitro? If so, does it loose value if i remove it and put polyurethane instead? Since Nitro gets thinner and improves sound within time.

- The roller saddle of the high E string in the bridge is missing.. I couldn't find any other bridge that has the same properties. Can you help me with that?

Thank you in advance for your attention and help.

2. Hector

Hector Moderator Staff Member

Hi Ferro,

Welcome! In regard to your repairs, any changes you make to a guitar may effect the value, especially for a vintage guitar from the 70s. Some people say a well worn / used guitar has "mojo", and so should not be repaired. Can you post any pictures?

Unfortunately, I do not know what type of finish it has (nitro or poly). Maybe try contacting Framus directly?

As for the parts, maybe ask Framus directly, or try ebay?

Cheers,
    Hector

3. ferro

ferro

Hi Hector,

Thanks, I agree with you about the well used vintage guitar fashion, but the problem is that it hadn't ben used much, but kept in a basement and had many chips due to hits. It looked simply like a mistreated piece of art instead of a nicely used guitar.. I'll Attach some pics to give you an idea.

Regarding parts and finish, I already asked Framus but got no feedback .. The Ebay long search ended badly too..

foto 1.jpg foto 2.jpg foto 3.jpg foto 4.jpg

4. Hector

Ouch! Yes, I can see your concern... Poor guitar!

I was going to suggest that you check with a luthier how much it would cost to repair, but a quick google.de search shows the asking price of around 700 €, so not worth the same as a similarly dated Gibson or Fender. But the choice is yours, if it's a guitar you love and want to keep, maybe go the luthier route? He may be able to tell the type of lacquer if ever you bring it in for an estimate...

For the parts, Framus / Warwick offer a shop for older parts, take a look here: http://shop.warwick.de/?&lang=en&modul=shop_new&site=shop_overview&lang=en
    you may have to dig around in the Parts section to find the right bit, sorry I can't tell you which one you need.

Have you tried contacting Framus Vintage rather than Framus itself? http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/site/site.php

Cheers,
    Hector

5. ferro

ferro

A luthier in Rome would ask around 450/500 €, for the finish and the fret change.. The fret board was the worst part of this guitar but I managed to fix that, somehow .. So, I don't think it's worth it since the market price is around 700 €..

I did some research and it seems that it might have a poly finish cause it's a bit thick and very hard. I decided to remove it and re-use a mirror gloss poly finish again. I'd like to keep all the original parts, including screws, stain and binding.. And try to give it a brand new look..

As for the parts, I couldn't find them, neither following the link you kindly posted, nor in any other place.. :D ... Here is the bridge pic:

foto 8.jpg

If you notice the high E string's roller (on the left side of the pic), it had been replaced with a small bolt :eek: , thats what i'd like to find, I would buy a whole new cheap bridge just for that piece, but it's very hard to find a "screwable" roller.

I contacted the Framus Vintage team some time ago too.. But no reply.

By the way, Thank you so much for your support!

I will post some pics about further repairs I'll do on this guitar.. Any suggestions about the new finish I'm gonna apply?

6. Hector

Hi Ferro,

No problem for the support, wish I could do more honestly.

I did some more digging... (I hope these links work and they're not Session IDs)

Here you might find the Tone knobs for the pots:
    http://shop.warwick.de/?&lang=en&mo...515&article_category=D0287680001456127389A122

There are also what seem to be new Volume knobs available:
    http://shop.warwick.de/?&lang=en&mo...526&article_category=D0287680001456127389A122

And here are the replacement Roller Bridges Framus have on offer:
    http://shop.warwick.de/?&lang=en&mo...001321517424A43801|D0954894001321517429A45938

However, I don't know which one matches your guitar, I think you would have to measure it and contact Framus for more info.

I'm sorry Framus/Warwick haven't responded to you, I understand how frustrating that can be. I would recommend you ask them your questions via Facebook, tell them what you're doing, upload a picture of the damage (like you did here) and ask them if they have a replacement bridge / knobs / etc, and if so, which one in the Shop. They seem to respond better to Facebook? https://www.facebook.com/warwickframus

My personal vote for the finish would be to replicate the original colour. But then again, I'm a purist :)

I wish you the best of luck with your restoration! And please do post photos as you proceed with the stripping, refinished etc.. It would be great to have that on the forum!

Cheers,
    Hector

7. Hector

Hi Ferro!

Any update on your project?

Cheers!
    Hector