Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Framus Renegade Custom II - Eternal Neck Issues

Discussion in 'Guitars and Guitar Amps' started by JohKva, Mar 31, 2016.

1. JohKva

JohKva

Hi!

Bought a Framus Renegade Custom II (in 2008) after having read a review which pretty much described my dream guitar. First of all; this is one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played, and it's quite versatile and has a great sound for pop, rock, blues, jazz and hard rock. BUT the neck has been nothing but problems since day one. At first I thought it was a matter of getting used to the less round shape of it (I'd mostly been playing a strat and a 335 before), but eventually it ended up gathering dust in my guitar stand, mainly because I had way too much to do back then. It was, simply put, really, really hard to play on.

Later I took it to a professional guitar tech, who couldn't make sense of it (he even called it "the worst fabric setup he'd ever seen"). There have been problems with intonation all the time, and there is just something that doesn't feel right about it. I've had it to a few other guitar techs, and all of them have been rather sceptic to the neck, but I have constantly kind of forgotten about it, since I have other guitars that work. Since it still sounds great, I've used it for some studio recordings, but then had to pretty much tune it for each chord - it's mainly been "big ringing chords", as you might understand.

Now, I've decided to change the neck altogether. Ideal would be to use the kind of neck it has, but since I'm unsure about what others have experienced (since I can't find anyone else bitching about it, I guess I got a bad one, which happens now and then), I'm thinking of a tele kind of neck.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? And does anyone know if the neck still the same model and shape as it was in 2008, or knows if Framus have other kind of necks that also could be suitable?

This is the guitar model:
    http://www.warwick.de/en/Framus---D...--Renegade-Custom-II--6-string--Pictures.html

2. Hardy

Hardy Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Greetings!

Warwick/Framus sells you a new neck if you ship in the old one. Not cheap. Maybe a luthier could build you a neck fitting your wishes?

3. Hector

Hector Moderator Staff Member

Welcome!

I have exactly the same guitar, built in 2008, but I have zero problems with the neck. Intonation is perfect.

Can you give some details of how the guitar is set up? Still the original tuners, bridge etc?

And, when you say the techs are sceptical about the neck, what do you mean? Is it twidted, warped or not on a correct angle?

Thanks,
    H

4. Nachobassman

Nachobassman Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!

Hola, maybe some pics could help... or at least we could GAS on your axe.

Welcome, BTW.

5. Hector

Hector Moderator Staff Member

Very true!

@JohKva: if you get a chance, please post photos or even a sound bite...