Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Fortress x Short Scale Corvette conversion - 30" neck and 2pc bridge replacement

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Shelby Jansen, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Shelby Jansen

Shelby Jansen

Ok, so this may seem crazy. But I found an '06 RB Fortress I LOVE but I physically cannot play full scales.
    I have a new RB Corvette Short 30" scale which is perfect for me.

How ridiculous is it to think, if I bought a second RB Corvette and the Fortress, and a 2 pce replacement bridge, I could mod it into a "frankenfortress" with the 30" neck, and replace the 1pce bridge with a 2pce?

I was under the impression the new RB corvettes bodies are the same size as the regular scale RB bodies, just small necks.. Is this accurate?

Anyone chucked the short scale neck on a normal rockbass before?

Is there any info on the size of the neck pockets for '06 era Rockbass Fortresses?

Aaaand has anybody successfully converted a rockbass' older 1pce bridge to a new 2pc?

I know a talented luthier that could probably do the mods for me, and get it intonating, as long as the neck pocket fits... If it leaves visible holes where the old bridge was, I'm sure he could fill it in fairly well as the bass itself is bright almost opaque red in the middle where the bridge sits.

As for the left over Corvette body.. I'd get the same guy to make me a purple heart neck to the same profile as the stock short scale neck (unless warwick wanna make me some short necks for my endeavours, but I've heard they never do that unless yours breaks...)

Please no "it's not worth the money" comments -
    I'm not fussed about what it would cost :) I'm a warwick fanatic and stuck playing short scales so I've got no other options that aren't a full customshop master build costing 5k+ anyway. I just want purely technical advice about whether this could actually work, if its been done before, etc etc

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2015
  2. avionix543

avionix543

My guess would be that there would be some noticeable differences in the neck pocket specs between a '06 and the current model RB's. You'd have better luck getting a RB Fortress that's the same year as the short scale Vette to swap the necks. I once tried swapping necks on a pair of German Corvettes that were only a couple years apart, but otherwise the same except for fretted vs fretless and the bolt holes didn't line up. Some other forumers have successfully swapped necks though, so there's really only one good way to find out - try it.

The bridge update will require some routing since the two piece bridges are recessed into the body, and there will be visible holes left over to fill and refinish. We do love project pix around here so if you decide to go forward with it, please post updates! :)

3. Shelby Jansen

Shelby Jansen

Thanks for the info! I figured that would be the case, It would be a lot of money down the drain if I decided to go ahead with it and it didn't line up, and I'd potentially destroy a nice rockbass fortress in the process. Might just bit the bullet and get a CS quote for a short scale :p

4. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

Price tag on that might hurt. Do keep us informed please, others looking for shortscales will be very keen on the info.

Ow and welcome to the forum Shelby!

5. Shelby Jansen

Shelby Jansen

I think nick schendzielos summed up the expectation of price well in one of his Warwick videos when he was like "uuurghh it's expensive, i have to sell my stuff " then sold a motorbike to buy a warwick :p

Also thanks :)

6. The ShadowKnight

The ShadowKnight

Welcome to the forum indeed :)
    I think in the long run the price will be worth it. Before I bought my now soon incoming Warwick Thumb I had to ponder a lot, and I know I will never part with the bass, and ends up cheaper than trying to find substitutes and buying/selling a lot of gear.
    Good luck with the plans!