First Time You Saw/heard A Warwick?

Reaction score
Real Name
Ruben Clark
3 years ago, Ryan Martinie from Mudvayne...
I heard his bass tone and since then I've had dreams of about Thumbs

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Robert Trujillo, Suicidal Tendencies back in the 80's.....untl then I only thought Fender made basses....i was young

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
A Fortress at my music school. I immediately loved the touch and feel!
My Fortress is probably my favorite bass...
If I had to sell everything, it would be the last to go

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
My Fortress is probably my favorite bass...
If I had to sell everything, it would be the last to go

I was a bloody beginner in this time, the very first steps on an instrument. And I was 28 years old already... I did not know that this was an all ovangkol custom order Wick. It was for sale for 600 EUR and the music teacher wanted to open the GAS valve, haha! I did work! I played TNT on it and wondered about the baseball neck. But there were holes where the strap pins should have been. So I thought this bass needed a repair... the music teacher didn´t know better. So I resisted. Those were the holes of the old Schaller strap lock system. DAMN!!!

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I was in a grocery store in Feb '08...and noticed the latest issue of Bass Player magazine had John Paul Jones on the cover..."The Return of the King" was the title. I rarely ever buy magazines, let alone from the grocery isle, but something made me buy it. Well, JPJ made me buy it :)

Got home...started looking it over...a few pages in, there was a full page ad for a "Warwick Jack Bruce Giveaway". Hmmm....never heard of Warwick (only been playing bass for 5 years at that point). Sure, what the hell...I'll enter....no one wins these things anyways.

And the rest is history.

Reaction score
Didn't know what it was at the time but it was a Thumb in the Prince Batman video I saw in the late 80's. First personal experience was in December 2008 with a Corvette STD Bubinga 4 string fretless when Guitar Center was still carrying them in stores. Was very taken with the sound and look of the natural wood....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
~2000 Doc's Music Shoppe in Lake Charles, LA, USA. It was a 4-string Streamer Jazzman in either a REALLY dark purple or Nirvana Black. Last time I was in there (2012 or so) it was still hanging...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I have no idea... what is a Warwick anyway ?

;)

please-disperse.gif

Reaction score
First time I ever saw a Warwick bass was at The Bass Centre Wapping London in about 1986, can't remember the price but whatever it was I could no way afford to buy one......but I knew instantly that I wanted, needed one.......I had to wait till 2002
when I got my first Warwick, my beloved 1987 Red Warwick Thumb 5 NT.....still love it !

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
First time I saw a Warwick was around 2000 in a shop. It was an Ash Corvette hanging on the wall. Of course back then I had no clue what I was looking at, but its looks made an impression for sure. Then off I went and tried a couple of Ibanez basses I could afford.

Reaction score
First time I attributed a specific bass tone to a bass guitar was Ryan Martinie in dig...just completely unique. Always was curious after that kept my eyes as ears open.

Amos Willams from Tesseract completely tipped my Warwick GAS and actually got me reinterested in playing bass after years off. Oh and of course job stockman from karnivool again. All three play thumbs all three have that tone in metal that is unbelievable bliss lol.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I wonder how Amos Wiliams' new Kiesel sounds. It is a way way way different beastie from the looks of it. MM pickup and all.
Both Amos and Jon sound great with their thumbs, I do believe they are even Thumb BO.
When I heard Conner Green play is Zon in Haken tho, and noticed Cody Wright's clear throaty bass tone I knew I wanted a Sonus Special as well...

I am currently looking at Thumb BO's on the market to see what they will do. Two regular 5str and a broadneck one for sale in NL right now. They all ask 1250 euro or more and nobody has offered anything for them yet. Patience...

Top Bottom