Finding the perfect overdrive/distortion with an octave/boost pedal. Suggestions?

Reaction score
I play a Warwick 5-string Corvette and I've been using the EH Big Muff Pi for an overdrive/distortion. I'm looking for the perfect octave/bass enhancer pedal that will allow me to mix the signals to get a really ballsy overdrive sound with the low octave effect dominating as well as not interfere with the nuance of my fingers while playing 16ths so I can cut through the mix. Any suggestions?

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I use MXR M80 distortion and M182 el Grande bass fuzz. For octave I use an EHX micropog which tracks very well (also chords) and has both an octave down and an octave up.
I'm very happy with these pedals.

You can find some good product vids for them on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm looking at the Micropog right now. Are there any pedals you know of that are specifically octave-down where you can cancel out the sound of your dry signal that mixes well with a distortion? I'm really trying to get a MUSE-like sound but it's hard to find a low octave pedal that will work with a 5-string without becoming muffled or muddy.

Reaction score
Are you using the micropog on a 5-string? If so, does it handle the low notes well? I'm thinking about buying one.

Reaction score
I use a Boss LS2, you can split your signal to keep the dirt on one side and your octave on the other.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm looking at the Micropog right now. Are there any pedals you know of that are specifically octave-down where you can cancel out the sound of your dry signal that mixes well with a distortion? I'm really trying to get a MUSE-like sound but it's hard to find a low octave pedal that will work with a 5-string without becoming muffled or muddy.

Yes. It tracks everything perfect. Even if you play a low B powerchord. I love my micropog to bits!

Ofcourse, tuning a low B down an octave will produce a tone somewhere near 16hz. You need quite a stack to reproduce this properly.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your input!! Looks like I'm getting a Micropog. :)

Top Bottom