Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Fender Bassman 250/210 vs 250/115

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by Isa, Dec 6, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Isa

Isa

A/B Fender Bassmen 250/110 and the 250/115.

It seems that the 250/210 is more popular that the 250/115; which I thought was strange because I assumed that the 15" driver would punch out more bass than the 2 10" drivers.

Anyone have some experince with these combos on their Warwicks (especially a Corvette STD)?

2. avionix543

avionix543

Isa,
    The 115 probably does have a lower resonant frequency than the 210 but taking into consideration the actual amount of air being moved, the 210 has more surface area, will use the available power more efficiently because of less individual mass of the speakers in relation to power, and will naturally perform better in the upper bass registers. I've been involved in very similar debates in car stereo world when the guy next to me with 6x18" subs lost to my 2x12" subs. The amount of power you'll need to produce the same performance with a 15 vs. a pair of 10's is going to be higher, and since we're dealing with the same amplifier, the 10's will perform better as they are using more of their potential to create sound instead of resistance to the amplifier.
    Another thing to consider is distortion. Power doesn't blow speakers, distortion does. The advantage you'll find with higher wattage amplifiers basically comes down to the amp's ability to control the movement of the driver. Amps control the cone in both directions. If the inertia of the cone exceeds the amplifier's ability to control it, you get distortion. Larger cone, more mass, greater inertia, more power needed to maintain control. The cones of the 10's have less mass but cover more surface area. They should stay cleaner at louder levels, even if the 15 will hit a little deeper with the same amount of power.
    The enclosure's design also makes a HUGE difference, but that's another thread. ~M~

In the interests of disclosure, I play a Fender Bassman 150 1x12.

3. Gerry

Gerry

I know this post is late but I just got some experience with the bassman 250-210 and had to return it because of a popping noise and some strange clipping thing it did at low volume. I looked into it and found that others had issues as well. The bassman 400 pro on the other hand is much better but for the same money I went for the Markbass 210 combo. I hope one day someone will bring a Warwick amp of any kind to NJ. so I can finally try one. And yes, I will continue to b**ch and moan until. :x

4. Beskyd

Beskyd

I believe you made the right choice :)

5. Stroud

Stroud

its a good thing to bitch about :wink: