Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Favorite Musicians

Discussion in 'Bands and Bass Players' started by notlob, Jan 27, 2010.

1. blikeng

blikeng

Jaco Pastorius and John Patitucci, his double bass works that is, his bass guitar-playing I find kind of boring actually.

2. Hallbatross

Hallbatross

I can't keep it simple: Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Jaco, Avishai Cohen, Micheal Manring, Franc O'Shea, Percy Jones, Dominique DiPiazza, Steve Harris, John Myung, Tony Levin, Roger Waters, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Colin Greenwood, Justin Chancellor...

Ands thats just bass... ugh!

3. Trey

Trey

Norfolk, Virginia / Burrillville, Rhode Island
    I hear ya bro! haha

4. Doog

Doog

Nothing wrong with Mike Dirnt, he's in a band and plays like it, great lines while still anchoring the rhythm. My kind of bass playing.

5. Hallbatross

Hallbatross

On that basis, I add Dan Andriano to my list. I've always appreciated his solid lines and vocal melodies.

6. Doog

Doog

Amen bro.

7. dazzla

dazzla

Okay where to start....Tom Kennedy(absolute gun!!).VictorWooten,Jaco Pastorius, Jimmy Haslip, John Myung, Flea,Verdine White,Jon Evans(tori amos),Ed Friedland(learnt so much stuff from either his books or dvds/great teacher and player), Randy Coven,Steve Bailey, Dirk Lance(early incubus),StefanLessard,Sting, SZ(early jamiroquai),Brian Bromberg, John Pattituci, Pino Palladino , Nick Seymour(crowded house) and thats a pretty short list of bass players!!
    Other muso'S: Miles Davis,Matt Bellamy, Omar (mars volta),Phil collins and band, John Petrucci, Neil Finn(crowded house)Dave Weckl, Tori Amos, Dave Matthews, Mike Portnoy, Coltrane, Stewart Copeland, Axl Rose,Buckethead,Bernie Worrell,Chad Smith,Thelonious Monk, Yellow jackets,Charles Mingus(should be in bass section),+ many more..
    Also family and friends..even that cover band you saw at your local can be a massive source of inspiration...and definitely the Warwick Forum and friends always inspires me to play!!

8. dazzla

dazzla

Sorry guys it appears i've hijacked this thread but on a sadder note i would like to add one more person to musicians that inspire me..Mr Wayne Newey who passed away 24/12/2008(unfortunately i only found out today as i lost contact with him about 2 years ago). He was a great bass player who served in the Australian Army Corp Band playing clarinet/bass and later had a sucessful backing/sideman career locally(played for Shirley Bassey on a tour down under). I only knew Wayne for a relatively small amount of time but he was the best bass/music teacher i ever had and completely changed my bass playing and approach to music. Wayne used to say to me " i just want to pass on as much information as i can as i feel i could go at anytime" and" sit on that front pickup man, thats where you'll get heads moving "His groove and sight reading was unbelievable and he was very conscious of the role of the bass player in any situation. Wayne turned me onto great players like Jaco, Jimmy Haslip, Nathan East and more. RIP Wayne and my belated condolences to his family.

9. Charmand G

Charmand G

Alex Webster - great musician and songwriter, literate and a very comfortable person to be around. A guy who just knows a lot, and you can talk about everything with him.

10. Hammerdin_930

Hammerdin_930

I've got to say my all-time favorite would be Billy Sheehan. Many consider him to be the best rock bassist ever, and he has his own way of playing the bass. I consider him a monster because he can do just anything on the bass. Besides that, he's an excellent musician (also a guitarist as well) and songwriter.

Also I would like to mention Geddy Lee. He's one of the most creative bassists I've ever known. Listening to songs like YYZ or Xanadu makes me think that I could never write that kind of beasslines. Not a big fan of his voice, but his bass playing's just flawless.

11. Charmand G

Charmand G

I also have to mention Killing Joke as a group of musicians I really look up to. No other group has, IMO, the same ability to put you in that state of trance, hate, desire, hopelesness and have a ritualistic performance on stage.

12. Vuk

Vuk Dr. Evil

i changed my mind. this guy is a winner.
    [video=youtube;gSjP4oS0DwA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSjP4oS0DwA[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2010
  13. Eberbachl

Eberbachl

Amongst all of the obvious ones that have already been listed here, I'd like to add our very own forum members Lex and Rusty.

Two very cool cats!

:d

14. Vuk

Vuk Dr. Evil

yep, lex's lines are nice. haven't heard rusty yet tho.

15. Hammerdin_930

Hammerdin_930

I've known this video for more than a year, and this is indeed funny. Seems like the lady (probably his girlfriend) is bored. :d

16. Vuk

Vuk Dr. Evil

if it's about who or what is influencing my own playing, i have to say everything around me, every kind of music i like to hear and every kind of music that's quality, and also, my state of mind. but if it comes to musicians, i look up to the following guys:
    - ryan martinie (mudvayne). i don't think that there is not much to say anymore about him on this forum. a bass genius, a great servant to the music, and the prime reason why i picked up bass and why i picked something to play at all.
    - justin chancellor (tool). his usage of bass is revolutionary. he may be repetitive at some point, but man, he does know how to put the bass as a driving force of tool.
    - troy sanders (mastodon), as a singer and a bassist. i sometimes pick up their songs just to play and sing along them (i intent to be an additional vocalist in my band in the future). he's the guy that does not step up too much as a bassist, but does a perfect job for the entire band.
    - dick lövgren (meshuggah). how can you not like that powerful EBS+Dolphin SN growl or fretless Thumb grooves this guy delivers? listen to the work in meshuggah's "obZen" for the insane metal effort, and then listen to "lounge" by nica group. what a touch!
    - chris wolstenholme (muse) was the guy i really dug when i started playing bass. he has those powerful basslines i always enjoy playing. and he is a brilliant vocalist too.
    - tim commerford (ratm/audioslave) is also the guy i was checking out in my earliest bass days. a great all-around bassist that delivers some sweet, funky groove to all sorts of songs he plays in.
    - jeroen paul thesseling (obscura/pestilence) a pioneer in playing jazzy patterns and fretless bass in death metal. what a dude!
    - robin zielhorst (cynic) is a good fretless player that adds great fusion jazz lines to death metal
    - juan alderete (the mars volta/racer x). this guy's great. how can you not like his fretless playing in the mars volta, or his pick in racer x?

those are my main influences in the form of bass players. :)

17. BassPlyr Randy

BassPlyr Randy Long Winded SOB

Wow this list for me would be so huge... I take inspiration for everywhere. I can hear a oom pa pah band and get fired up to play.

But my first real influence, the band and the bass player that really put that seed in my heart that I wanted to someday be a bass player and in a band, is a band I don't remember the name of if I ever knew it. It was the late 60s and it was a typical 60s rock band playing at this park I used to go to as a little kid and I stood right there at the front of the stage in front of the bass player and was just mezmorized by them. I could feel the bass as though it was vibrating from out of my very bones. They played several shows at the park that weekend and I remember taking that same place for every show. By the end of the weekend the band knew me by name and to me, they were rock stars just like Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath and all the other bands I listened to on the radio. By the end of that weekend, I knew, someday it will be me up there on that stage. It is also why, even in my hay day of playing music, anytime a young kid approched me and tried to talk to me, I always took a minute to talk them.

But I guess I can't post on a thread like this without mentioning 2 names that have ment the world to me. I'm sure you all can guess .... Geddy Lee and Frank Zappa But that is just 2 names from the tip of a very huge ice berg.

18. Leronious

Leronious

bassists- Charles Mingus, Gary Willis, Justin chancellor
    pianists- Thelonious Monk, Chick Corea, Duke Ellington, Herbie Hancock, Monty Alexander
    saxophonists- Charlie Rouse, Llibert Fortuny
    composers besides classical greats, Benoit Jutras, Monk, Mingus, Stravinsky, Andre Young

19. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

I think the older I get harder is to reply to this question... I think even a child singing on the street can influence me now.
    But Tony Levin was a huge inspiration for me. Jaco too...

20. ChTBoner

ChTBoner

My list would also be huge...

For the bass players Flea is definitly the one that brought me to bass. I'm still very influenced by him in my playing specially when I'm playing fills.

Marcus Miller : Not only a great bass player but a very accomplished musician too. He's the one who brought me to slapping, but I still have lots of work to do...

Victor Wooten : "Wow", is the first thing I sayed when I saw him play... I don't think I'm really influenced by him, but I really like him.

John Myung : he is the one that made me buy a 6 string bass and I really like is role in Dream Theater. His basslines are just what the band need for the music not to be too "full" and leave some space.

Alain Caron : He is my main influence right now. I'm really working on his basslines right now... And, man, what a soloist it is...

Colin Greenwood from Radiohead : I love this band so much, and his basslines are great too.

Then, I would also say (no matter the instrument) : Michel Petrucciani, Keith Jarret, Nirvana, RATM, Robert Trujillo, Queen, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Bach, Chopin, Sigur Ros...