Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Favorite Musicians

Discussion in 'Bands and Bass Players' started by notlob, Jan 27, 2010.

1. notlob

notlob

Dont know if this has been done before, I couldn't find anything using the search function, but i could be wrong.

I was curious as to who other bass players are influenced and inspired by. Who's style or tone have you based your own style off of.
    For me my influences are constantly changing but the main guys I keep coming back to are; Flea, Justin Chancellor (Tool), Frank Zappa (and everybody who was ever in his band), Jeff Caxide (ISIS), Peter Hook (Joy Division, New Order) John Coltrane, Paul Chambers, Captain Beefheart (and his band), Joe Lally and the other memebers of Fugazi, Bootsy Collins, Jimi Hendrix, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (and all the people he plays with), Danny Carey, any one who ever played in King Crimson, Rodger Waters, Josh Klinghoffer, everyone in Yes (during thier great early-mid 70's albums), and my biggest influence, John Frusciante. I'm leaving out probably hundreds of musicians that I've studied, but these guys are the main people that motivate me to improve and evolve as a musician..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2010
  2. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

This question is quite hard to answer for a guy who's been playing for 20 years now.

At first I really digged just Chris Squire (YES). and played with a pick mainly. His melodic stuff complements the other instruments so well its just ace, the man is a genius and the reason I still own a Rickenbacker.
    Then I started doing slapping, chords and other weird stuff "a bass player is not supposed to do" when I discovered Les Claypool and Primus. This got me through the nineties.

Now I really like jazzy stuff and Motown grooves so that's probably my current influence (James Jamerson baby YEAH!).

So what it comes down to: it varies. Treading new ground as a musician is what I like most about being one. I've also been a guitarist and singer for a couple of years (dark days where my basses were doing nothing but collecting dust).

3. Sbociol

Sbociol

Rex Brown,Steve Di Giorgio,Dave LaRue,Geezer Butler,Steve Harris,Ryan Martinie,Billy Sheehan,Chris Wostenholme,Markus Gro├čkopf and many more...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2010
  4. Trey

Trey

Norfolk, Virginia / Burrillville, Rhode Island
    This is going to be a long list, lolz.

Paul McCartney, Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Anthony Wellington, James Jamerson, P-nut, Jaco Pastorius (Duh!), Cliff Williams, Ray Brown, Bootsy Collins, Prince, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Clark Terry, John Coltrane, John Williams, Danny Elfman, Count Basie, John Paul Jones, All classical music, Gary Willis, Flea, Bela Fleck, Francis Rocco Prestia, Steve Baily, Louis Johnson, Bob Marley, Former band mates, The Remedy, ACOA, After this Summer.

I just realized that I'm probably not going to be able to finish it tonight, so I'm just gonna stop there, lol.

Anyways, I feel like my sound is kinda funk, but you can tell that my roots are Rock&Roll. I use a lot of pentitonic stuff, with a touch of chromatic slides. Oh, and Aeolian is my favorite mode to improv with:D

5. notlob

notlob

I can't believe I left out Cliff Burton in my post...he's the reason I picked up the bass. I taught myself to play by learning Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)...it took ages.

6. Trey

Trey

Norfolk, Virginia / Burrillville, Rhode Island
    yeah, I'm embarrassed to say that Mike Dirnt is the reason why I started playing bass xD but I thank him because even though he's not really that good, I wouldn't have started it without him!

7. syko_logic93

syko_logic93

Some of my influences include Billy Sheehan, Ryan Martinie, Geddy Lee, Steve Harris, Victor Wooten, Geezer Butler, Les Claypool, Jaco Pastorius, Rex Brown, Bobzilla, Flea, Fieldy, John Myung, and a bunch more.

8. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Dude,there's nothing to be embarressed about.The guy's in one of the biggest bands in the world,he get's paid to play & has been very sucessful at doing it for a long time.It's normal to look back on past heros,haircuts,girlfriends etc,& think to yourself,"what was I thinkin?"Just think,we all think we're as cool as it gets right now,but in 10 years that'll be a different story huh.
    Anyway,my list of bass influences is easy to remember.
    It's all you guys.
    :)

9. nizzrooster

nizzrooster

I try to draw influence from every piece of music I hear, even if it's something I'm not particularly fond of. There's always something to be learned from every piece of music that has ever been written. But....I wanted to start playing the bass because of John Paul Jones' groovy, fluid bass lines in The Lemon Song on Led Zeppelin II. That whole album is filled with amazing bass work.

10. flipper_gv

flipper_gv

Sean Malone and Chuck Schuldiner by far.

11. Curtis

Curtis Editor De Bassist magazine (NL)

What? No Entwistle.

For melodic stuff I like Entwistle most. Other influences are Duck Dunn of STAX and Jamerson of Motown. I also like Flea for his melodic stuff (I'm not a slapper). I am just a melodic pop bassist, so I can also enjoy McCartney, Ronnie Lane of The (Small) Faces, I really think he's an underrated bass player. If people ask me about him I always point to the nice bass intro of Guns 'n Roses Sweet Child O Mine. That was Duff being inspired by the late Ronnie Lane.

Damon Minchella (ex-Ocean Colour Scene, ex-Weller and het played with The Who at Live8) is very, very good!

In Holland Herman Deinum is a great player.

12. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

That always goes without saying mate ;)
    Like saying,Amen,at the end of a prayer.Everyone knows where it belongs.

13. ColinB

ColinB

Paul McCartney and John Deacon - enough inspiration to last me a lifetime.

14. Lex

Lex Warwick Endorser

Pino Palladino, Adam Blackstone

15. Doog

Doog

Bruce Foxton is my fave.

16. Kris

Kris

Pat Metheny and Avishai Cohen

17. Curtis

Curtis Editor De Bassist magazine (NL)

@ Greg: Amen!
    @ Doog: Bruce Foxton plays on the new Weller album! They're friend again.
    @ ColinB: aah, John Deacon. The Warwick Buzzard player! Very good player!

18. Callum

Callum

Um.......

My biggest influences are friends, family, and this forum. I keep returning to play stuff by jaco, wooten, and jamiroqui stuff because i find it fun to play. But honestly i can't say now that one person has influenced me more than others, i'm just a sponge i play how i play, and keep striving to play more things and to keep improving. I listen and keep an ear open for everything, what i'm listening to now fluctuatse hugely on a weekly basis! I'm only now realising that i haven't scratched to surface for good music and playing, i'm trying to work back and keep up with the new stuff coming out - its tough but soooooo rewarding!

19. Matthijs

Matthijs Photographer

Keeping it manageable, I'll just list 5: James Jamerson, Francis Rocco Prestia, Paul McCartney, Chris Wolstenholme (MUSE), Marcus Miller.

I can live with those as my biggest influences :)

20. saxonbass

saxonbass

Curtis, full marks for mentioning the late great Ronnie Lane.
    I'd also pick Andy Fraser of Free, as well as Entwistle, Duck Dunn and Jamerson

Probably loads more if I think about it.