Ever Been Fired From Your Band? :-(

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
That was no repeating, but the proof that your first estimation of your situation was right. This thread is rather a serious topic and we are here to hear you. Be strong! BE THE BASS PLAYER!
I subscribe every single word from Hardy.

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Sounds like they want a robot and not a bass player. Obviously they have pre-decided what they need from the bass. Ditch em!
I know, easier said than done. Sorry you’re dealing with this.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I'd be so angry... In a band all members should be treated equal. Even if one member comes up with the songs you need eachother to really make it work. Bands that are a democracy have so much good energy it oozes from the stage. Bands with a dicktator (often the guitar holding primadonna, sometimes the keyboard midiot) usually have nothing but a-holes surrounding them. Getting out of that band is good brother Henry! Nothing but bad vibes in there.

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
You know I mostly play bass for others (well, when playing in a band was a thing, not now, OFC) and depending on the gig you have more or less freedom to play "your stuff" or not.
With the "celtic rock party band" we play irish pubs in downtown Madrid, and Dan Wright (band leader) has this "free version" aproach to the show, so we don't have to learn original songs as they were recorded but play like Dan do, and he gives us plenty of space to add whatever we think could make the song stronger and the show better.
OTOH, with the gospel choir I have to play the thing note by note, they gave me the music sheets for all the songs and I have to do my best to play what is written, and OFC they pay me to do that, that's the deal.

Henry, those guys don't want a bassplayer/bandmember, they want a hired gun. I have nothing against that way of work, OFC, but it is obvious that's not the band you need. :)

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Epilogue : After sending the last batch of songs I played, the reply came : they are underwhelmed, waited to be blown aways but were not.
I change the color of the songs, some fills I added break the "desired effect". "We want you to play note for note what has been written, you may add some nuances according to oyour bassplaying experience". "We have a precise idea of what we want and that's not it, and since the 13 songs have already been recorded, including bass, you can focus on learning the lines".

So, yes clearly, I'm out, due to my ginormous Ego and desire to play what I want.
It's unprofessional, but hey, I'm not getting paid. :)
Thanks for listening to my complain, a mirror of relfexion with other bass players is priceless.

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I now post a new clip on my YouTube channel every Sunday. MY notes! That might be something for you too. In the band I also have to learn the basslines which are created by our guitar guy. But the main idea of the most of the songs was mine, I write some of the lyrics, we are all friends. It’s possible! Look out for such a crew!

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Henry I hope you end up in a situation where you love the music you play, and have the freedom to be you

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll find it. No hurry. Plenty of bands will regroup and play when "The Crisis" is over. Plus I have three basses in the garage to rebuild and mod. Plenty to do.
The Youtube channel might be an Idea, it would force me to learn and play some things. I'm re discovering Dolly PArton at the moment. Great songwrinting. At first I thought it leaves little to the imagination of bass players, but when you really hear what is played, there is a bunch of fills here and there. Country and bluegrass are something I listen to but rarely play, but now that I focus a bit on it, there are many interesting bass lines.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Reviving this thread as I *might* get fired from a band soon.
And I kinda need to vent. :)

They want me to play the root, on the kick and just pumping 8th all along.
"We want Cliff Williams", they said.
I said Cliff often plays the Major third to color the Powerchord, and sometimes stop to play in order to bring tension and relief, and is a master of buildups.

In fact, the Keyboard/Guitar guy has already recorded the basslines on the next album, and everytime I propose something else, they shut me down.
I said that I'll propose them a next batch of songs, and if doesn't suit them, I'll get them in Touch with Cliff Williams so he plays on the album.

My mistake was to assume I was a band member, but they treat me as a session bassist, and they do not pay me. :)
Henry, sorry to hear that! In Oct 2019 the exact same thing happened to me. I joined a pretty cool band, had a lot of fun, then new material came up, and I found myself being treated like a session player. I didn't liked it, complained, I was kicked out.
I think this was my last attempt to be on stage, I opened a session studio right after, having a lot of fun :)

So yeah, don't stay a minute longer if you are not having fun, and you don't feel respected. In the end, music is a pretty shitty job if it is only to be paid.
Flo

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Thanks Flo. I left the band as they did not need me for playing, or recording. A few projects are on going in the garage to keep me busy.

Top Bottom