EMG's PJ pick ups + Aguiliar OBP 1

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I own 1990 Warwick Streamer Stage 1 with EMG's PJ pick ups and Aguiliar OBP 1 electronics. I have this buzz I can't get rid of. I really tried everything from resoldering to shielding, grounding, changing the amps I plug it in... I mean everything. I tried other basses in the same conditions when the buzz appears (light switch dimmers- when set to on and off position no problem but when the light is dimmed the buzz appears, TV on...) and they were all dead silent (Musicman Stingray, some Aries model, Yamaha TRB...). I thought then the problem lies in electronics or pick ups (maybe they are too old or 'overused' if it is possible) but I was very unpleasently surprised when I came upon other Warwick bass (Corvette Proline with Mec's electronics and pick ups) and the buzz appeared again (is it possible that I came upon two Warwick basses with the same problem accidently?). Is this something about Warwicks or about pick ups or electronics, I really can't figure it out and I really like the sound of my bass. I would like to replace the Emg's with the new EMG's PJ set and EMG's BQCsystem instead of Aguiliar OBP 1 or maybe just one of these that is not functioning right but what should I do to find where the problem lies. Is it possible that these pretty apreciated instruments have such a fault - I didn't hear anybody complaining about this at Warwick forum.

Reaction score
I cant tell you why your basses buzz but i can tell you it's not an inherant problem with Warwick.MEC pickups & electronics are some of the quietest I've played.

Reaction score
I have OBP-3 with Bartolini on my SSI 5, it used to had wrong SD active preamp by the ex-owner, the Bartolini is passive so I changed it to OBP-3 passive with pots(250K), the output became big due to the OBP-3, I think they are over loud a little bit for the bartolini PUs, but they works good on stage so maybe that is how OBP-3 should be...

I know OBP-1 is very different with OBP-2 & 3, you should use OBP-2 or 3, I thought the buzz may came with wrong pot, EMG PUs need 25K pot on volume & blend, check it out, or the OBP boost the EMG way to big, EMG are powerful, the OBP-3 make my bartolini loud..so.....

I really don't like EMG circuit, too many treble and not enough bass, you may try MEC 3 band preamp, works great with EMG on my SSII, in Taiwan, the MEC is not available so I go with OBP or SD preamp...

Maybe it is not the preamp, the buzz came from old pot or bad conncet or ....

Joe

Top Bottom