Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Effects Pedal Cables

Discussion in 'Audio / Recording / Live' started by JSmith, Jun 28, 2010.

1. JSmith

JSmith

Simple question, what do you guys like or use for effects pedal cables?

2. da-vonk

da-vonk Warwick Enthusiast forevah

I dunno man, but so far I've alwayz used my (old) spare geetard chord for it...:confused:

3. JSmith

JSmith

I'm just curious. We hear all the talk about good cables and what not but what about the pedal patch cables? Or doesn't it matter a whole lot because of the shortness of them?

4. drews

drews

I use Monsters (only because I was able to get them cheap), and they made a HUGE difference.

5. JSmith

JSmith

I use Monster bass cables currently and maybe it's just in my head but the tone "sounds" more full when using them.

6. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Mogami

7. da-vonk

da-vonk Warwick Enthusiast forevah

Mogami ?...:confused:

'n now ya made me curious too JS ...is there really so much difference in sound between da different cablez ???

8. drews

drews

I feel exactly the same way!

9. JSmith

JSmith

I almost bought some! :)

I don't think the difference is mind blowing but there does seem to be more fullness to the sound and tone of the bass when I used my Monster bass cables. They are definitely quieter and maybe that's what I'm perceiving as fuller tone?

Hopefully one our gurus here can elaborate more scientifically on the subject. :)

10. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Cables are very important, especially on passive basses. But you can feel a great difference even for active basses.

The difference SEEMS to be very subtle but it is not.

Just make a test with an ordinar cable let's say a cordial or something, (not a very cheap one), and then compare it with a Monster, or other good cable (I am using Spectraflex)

Maybe forst time you will not feel a difference, but second time when you go back to the cheap cable you will feel like the sound is dry somehow.

So the first and most important thing you will feel is that a good cable has a spatial sound, 3 dimensional, while a cheap cable gives a flat, bi dimensional sound.

While you continue to compare cables (good bass good strings good amp is needed) you will notice that the difference feels bigger and bigger. Also you will start to like more some cables than others like "this one sounds more hi- fi, but that one is warmer"

I see the difference in cables pretty much like the difference between pickups.
    It is not that sublte the difference, good cables make you feel better, and very important - that "subtle difference" gets bigger and bigger when you play in a concert. With a good cable simply you will cut better, and you will have a bigger sound.