EBS Valve Drive

Reaction score
Hi guys (and hopefully some girls too, if there are any on this forum... )

I haven't been posting much, but have read this forum a lot; and I have to say, it's been very useful and fun! But, the subject...

I bought an EBS Valve Drive overdrive/preamp today, and even by a short test with my Behringer ultrabass bx1200 and a fretless ibanez gwb35 (with way too old strings) it really blew my mind away. I KNOW that only time and experience in a band situation (especially with my Warwick X-treme rig which is located in another city where I live most of the time) will tell the truth about this pedal but right now I'm very hopeful and impressed! It sure brings me the kinds of overdrive I craved for,a slightly rough but still solid and musical sound and sometimes a harder crunch. (harmonics on the fretless sound amazing with this device set up right!)

I have an Ibanez PD-7 but I never really liked the way it works; sure it distorts, but it's more like chopping raw glass and nails with a chainsaw. Nothing I wanted but maybe suitable for someone.

Sorry for the long post but I'm just so excited right now and waiting to get to my X-treme and a band rehearsal! 8)

If you have experience with this pedal or any opinions, please share them!

:)

Reaction score
Hi Bassment

Never tried that pedal - quite like to , but I'd never get the lid shut on my pedal-board!

However, I've always thought that anything made by EBS is seriously good quality stuff. Expensive, but worth the money!

Reaction score
EBS pedals rock.& the little amber light on the Valve Drive is the cutest thing in pedals.

Reaction score
we both have x-tremes and PD-7s, and your loving the valve drive. this is not good for my gas :wink:

Reaction score
I think I might keep the PD-7 beside the EBS for some more distortion at times, the Valve Drive can bring me the little bit rougher sound I like to have there coloring my whole sound most of th time except when a fully clean sound is needed but when you need fuzzier stuff for a moment, then the Ibanez might be there for it. Although the sound loses much of its articulation and punch with that thing but gets some fuzz and buzz...

Reaction score
Now I've played the EBS with my X-treme stack quite a lot and it seems to sound exactly like I wanted and indeed, I still have my PD-7 with it for some fuzzier sounds. But the warmth that the valve drive delivers is something that makes you feel like wanting a tube preamplified head.... like maybe a tubepath... :wink:

I sure like my x-treme and never have even played a tubepath but if the TP gets near that kind of warmth I could consider switching heads... X-treme is very articulate and clear and punchy, but at least with my EBS which has only one tube, I can sense a clearly broader sound, if you know what I mean. It's somehow rounder and fills the space more, with no bass or anything added. And I'm not talking about the distortion. just the sound.

Top Bottom