DR DDT Bass Strings on a Warwick?

Reaction score
Well, I've had the DDT-45's on 2 of my basses (tuned Db/Ab/Db/Gb) for a little more than a week now and, surprisingly, I haven't been real impressed. I wouldn't say I dislike them, but they don't seem all that special either. They do seem slightly 'stiffer', but tonally they are kind of 'hollow' sounding (so far). Next I'm gonna try the DDT-55's on my B/E/A/D tuned bass, so I may appreciate them more for that...

Reaction score
Hollow you say? That sounds ominous. I'm counting on these strings to be rather good as the set with the 115 E string in sounds like the ideal set for me for flicking between C and D

Reaction score
Regarding CirkleK Strings, I believe they're affiliated with or designed by the same person who runs Knuckle Guitar Works. Skip is a great guy and I have a Knuckle Quake 5-string, tuned to low F# (I forget the gauge, but it's thick). I don't play it much -- it is a 39 1/2" scale 5-string, but still, great concept. The extra string length does make a difference.

Reaction score
Just put sone DR DDT's on my bass. The 55 - 115 set to be precise. They sound very different to the Ernie Ball nickel strings I had on before, though I don't know if that's also down to the fact I now have the tension that was lacking before.

Either way it means finding the tonal sweet spots all over again, truss rod and intonation adjustments etc etc.

But playing is considerably easier that before. I had 45 -105 set and in Drop C that was unwieldy. 4th string was especially bad as everytime I hit the string I could hear the sound swelling through the note, sharp and flat. Now it's consistent which right now is more important than having the tone correct.

Now need to see how long they last. Does any one know if they are steel/nickel or even coated? The price is rather steep if they aren't even coated.

Reaction score
I have to say I'm a little disapointed. The strings hold together nicely like they are supposed to. I have no floppy string about to take my nose off, my notes are much more controlled, and playing is easier. The problem however is that they aren't sitting in the mix as well as nickels. Usually I use Ernie Ball nickel strings and I think I'll be going back to them. I only tried some other strings because I was searching for decent coated strings. But I can't find any coated nickel strings in a heavy guage. Back to the non coated power slinkies.

Actually if any one is interested, I would be happy to sell these strings, hardly used, ready cut for Warwick basses. still have packaging. It's the four string set 55 - 115. £20? I'm loosing a tenner by doing this.

Reaction score
There ya go then.Everyone wins.:lol:
Seriously though.If ya get stuck with them,let me know & I'll give ya a reasonable price.
They're stainless steel,round cores,yeah?
Are they ok to tune standard?(EADG?)
or are they best suited to be tuned down?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I think they are definitely suited to down tuning. Honestly in Drop C they are not flapping around. They do what they are meant to, tonaly they aren't working for me. Nothing has sounded as good as Ernie Balls to me, yet I think most people here hate those strings.

How much do you think it would be to post from the UK to Australia?

Reaction score
I dunno.It goes by weight & how quick ya want the package to get there.It's probably not really worth sending them this far,after taking 20 quid(about $50AU) into account.

Reaction score
That's what I thought.

Until I can afford some heavy guage Ernie's I'm back to the slightly too light guage nickels, but the tones back. Nuff said I guess.

So yeah I have a pack of DR DDT's available second hand, maybe 4 hours of playing. Please note they have been cut down to fit Warwick basses.

Reaction score
I just installed a custom set I got From Mikes Chop Shop. 45-65-85-115 for drop D tuning. I've got them tuned to drop C and the tension is alot more consistent among the set. I personally prefer the feel of 45-105 for standard tuning down one whole step DGCF, but when I would drop the D to C the 105 would be floppy noodles. The 115 in this custom set definately sounds and feels better at C. So far I give them 2 thumbs up!

Reaction score
I Put them on my 4 string thumb. Medium gauge. I love the way the low E (drop D) sounds but it seems louder then the A string to me. Maybe I got a dead A string like "Gusts" posted about. I find that using my tube compressor evened out the volume. I like the DDT strings so far. I would buy them again for sure.

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Hey, DDT users!

I may try a set of this strings for half-stop down tunning (Eb/Ab/Db/Gb) and Drop-Db... do you think a 45-105 DDT set will do the trick or should I get a 50-105 set?

Salud!

Stainless

Guard of the Fortress
Reaction score
Hey, DDT users!

I may try a set of this strings for half-stop down tunning (Eb/Ab/Db/Gb) and Drop-Db... do you think a 45-105 DDT set will do the trick or should I get a 50-105 set?

Salud!
I would recommend the 50-105. I used it for Drop D in my Band and it worked quite well :)

Reaction score
People actually like half-wound strings?
They sound like shitty flatwounds at best, and 90% of the time they sound like dead roundwounds.

My Fortress came with them, and taking them off was like playing a different bass both in feel and sound.

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
People actually like half-wound strings?
They sound like shitty flatwounds at best, and 90% of the time they sound like dead roundwounds.

My Fortress came with them, and taking them off was like playing a different bass both in feel and sound.
I've never tried those half-wound. I don't like flats and my brain says I won't like those either. :)

Top Bottom