DR DDT Bass Strings on a Warwick?

Reaction score
I know they're new, but has anyone tried them? They're suppose to keep their tension even with drop tunings...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Those are some thick stings! I'd be tempted by the thickest just for kicks - and i might just have to start playing in drop c - you know just because!

Reaction score
I emailed DR regarding these strings, and the reply was as follows:

Hey there!
This is Steve, one of the sales reps for DR Strings.
The DDTs are based pretty much on the LoRider principle, with nickel plating on hexcore. The tension is different due to a different winding process, so the result will be much deeper and more stable in the intonation.
I hope this helps. Thanks so much!
Steve Bello

Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for the info...

I think it's safe to say that I'll be giving these a try, with my Db/Ab/Db/Gb bass and definitely with my B/E/A/D bass!

Reaction score
I have a set on my SS2 5er and they actually seem to do what they claim. We tune down a whole step (yeah, the low A isn't super useful).

A lot of strings I've tried will waver above and below the desired pitch when tuning before settling in to what I'm trying to tune to, whereas these are spot on. They seem REALLY floppy when you take them out of the pack. More so than any other string I've tried, but once they are tuned up they rock.

My local shop didn't have the super heavy gauge I'd like to try, but considering the strings are .45 - .130 (I think) they are not too floppy to slap with and intonate much better a whole step down. They sound quite good too!

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
mmmm Very interesting.

If I see them in my next string shopping, I´ll try a set.

Reaction score
Without even trying them, I have to think these are a great option for 4-string players who drop tune, but especially for 4-string players who drop tune all the way to BEAD. Many brands don't market for that tuning, so you're stuck paying for 5-string sets and 'throwing away' the unused G-string. Both the DDT-55 set and the DDT-65 set would probably work:

DDT-55 (55/75/95/115-B string)

DDT-65 (65/85/102/125-B string)

Reaction score
I ordered a set the of the Heavy 5 String, DDT5-55's. Should be here and on the bass today.

Reaction score
I'd love to hear a review, Mr. Smith. If they do what they promise with the tension (and still sound good), I'll be all over them!

Reaction score
I'd love to hear a review, Mr. Smith. If they do what they promise with the tension (and still sound good), I'll be all over them!

I'll be sure and post up my impressions with them.

Reaction score
Ok first impressions of these strings? If you're tuning down get them. I'm tuned a whole step down on my Corvette 5 and it made all the difference. The low A is still a bit floppy and decays quickly but it's much more usable now than with the normal DR .130 I had on originally. The rest of the strings feel as if I was tuned normally (E,A,D,G) again. That is the tension doesn't feel sloppy and loose. I did notice that they weren't as bright as the fresh DR's they replaced but they still had plenty of zing to slap with if needed and they have a good growl when using the bridge pickup. So far, I'm impressed.

Reaction score
8:

Cool. Thanks, Mr. Smith. That's enough to sell me on at least trying them. The 'how long do they stay bright' question will be of interest, because I've always felt that's where Hi-Beams excelled...

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Nice review.

Now it would be interesting to hear a comparison with normal strings, and what Evolve said about the "how long do they stay bright".

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yes, I'm curious to see how long the brightness lasts as well. I'll be sure to comment on their lifespan.

Curtis

Editor De Bassist magazine (NL)
Reaction score
Rotosound now has special strings too: Drop Zones.

Reaction score
I recently ordered a few sets and feel kind of eager to try them out. I've never been into DR strings, but this set seems promising.
=g=

Reaction score
The rotosound Drop Zone's are super heavy. 65 80 105 130 and 85 105 135 175.

They say these are designed for people going to F# tuning, which I will not be.

I think i might try the DR DDT's when I can find some and find out how much they are.

Reaction score
Don't know why but that 175 number just scares the crap out of me!

=g=

Top Bottom