DR DDT Bass Strings on a Warwick?

Alexandre

Production Manager Assistant
Reaction score
I know they're new, but has anyone tried them? They're suppose to keep their tension even with drop tunings...

DDT Bass Strings | DR Strings

There is NO WAY a strings is keeping its tension when drop-tuned :)

That' s physics : the tension on the string depends on
- your scale length
- the material of the string
- its pitch

If you vary any of these parameters, your note will change. If you drop tuned let's say a .045 from G to F, you lower the pitch, therefore you have less tension.

That is why it is important to get your instrument set up for one tuning and one gauge of string, and to chose your strings according to your tuning. Tuning stability depends on good strings, changed on a regular basis, and properly installed.

Don't know why but that 175 number just scares the crap out of me!

=g=

I remember to have talked about it with my former co-worker, who was tuning pianos... He was saying that, given the scale length and string diameter, as well as the note, he was not sure if the string was vibrating correctly enough to develop enough harmonics to sound great. I'm not sure Even then, I'm not sure if pickups and amps are designed to work great at such low frequencies...

Anyway, just my 0,02€

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Alexandre said:
There is NO WAY a strings is keeping its tension when drop-tuned...

Of course there is less physical tension when drop-tuned, but the idea is that windings over the hexagonal core remain "stiffer" than you'd expect with that lesser tension... At least that's my take on them.

Alexandre

Reaction score
Of course there is less physical tension when drop-tuned, but the idea is that windings over the hexagonal core remain "stiffer" than you'd expect with that lesser tension... At least that's my take on them.

Too bad they don't have tension charts on their website, I'd be curious about the difference...

By the way, I think most of the strings on the market are wound using an hexagonal core.

Reaction score
Alexandre said:
By the way, I think most of the strings on the market are wound using an hexagonal core...

Really? I would have guessed that the strong majority are round core, but whatever.

Alexandre

Reaction score
Really? I would have guessed that the strong majority are round core, but whatever.

Yep.

Theory being it, is that your winding holds somewhat better on hexagonal than on round core, although round core is pretty common, too. Check manufacturer specs and websites.

:)

Alexandre

Reaction score
:eek:

Yeah, that's crazy sauce...

Yeah. Like you said.

To give you an idea, here is a site with piano strings

Bass Piano Strings - Universal Bass String ready made.

The heaviest are for a 7 Feet (84 inches) scale length. Still, the dynamics may not exactly be the same as on a bass due to the the nature of the vibration source and the length of winding, but still...

Then, compare it with a .200 bass string on a 34 or 35 inches scale.

What do you guys think? Get my point?

:)

Reaction score
How's the tone holding up JSmith?
So far so good! They are on my Corvette Std 5-string tuned a whole step down for the metal band I'm in. We are covering Megadeth's "Holy Wars" because we all like the song and the strings felt tight enough that I could play the song with fingers and not get that Korn-ish fret slap. Plus they still have a nice mid-range growl to them. I'm happy with the strings so far.

Reaction score
I ordered mine from stringsandbeyond.com, got 3 sets. The band I play in now tunes down to C# so I had to get those strings. I feel quite impressed with the result, every problem I used to have is now gone. Not that bright as other strings, but I can live with that.
One problem though. I've had issues with DR string sets and have never liked them because of that. Guess what, one of the 3 sets had a dead string plus the E string broke at the saddle right after I put it on and pressed down a bit as usual to get the angle right. DR did disapoint me again in one way but on the other hand, there is no big choice at the moment, because the playability has become better for about 80%
=g=

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I have a couple sets on the way. I'm pretty psyched to try them, but I've never had the issues with DR that Gusts has to begin with...

Alexandre

Reaction score
I ordered mine from stringsandbeyond.com, got 3 sets. The band I play in now tunes down to C# so I had to get those strings. I feel quite impressed with the result, every problem I used to have is now gone. Not that bright as other strings, but I can live with that.
One problem though. I've had issues with DR string sets and have never liked them because of that. Guess what, one of the 3 sets had a dead string plus the E string broke at the saddle right after I put it on and pressed down a bit as usual to get the angle right. DR did disapoint me again in one way but on the other hand, there is no big choice at the moment, because the playability has become better for about 80%
=g=

I've no idea if it could work, but why don't you try send DR an email and explain your problem? I know that, for example, Savarez strings do send replacement sets sometimes (although not 100% sure about it) when people get a "lemon" set. Maybe it'd worth trying contacting them or the dealer you get them from. But I don't know if they have a customer policy for that.

;)

Reaction score
Good idea, Alexandre. I'd be pi$$ed if I had a brand new string break. But it seems foreign to me... in 6 years I've never broke a DR string, and I play a lot!

Reaction score
Maybe it'd worth trying contacting them or the dealer you get them from. But I don't know if they have a customer policy for that.

;)

Will do that, because it was definitely a "lemon" set.
I've been playing bass for 10 years and this was actually only the second time a string broke and this one didn't break while being played, it broke just after stringing the bass and tuning the string.
A dead string, usually the D or A, is the most common issue with DR sets I've faced and many times actually, there are people I know that would tell you the same and there are people that would bite your leg defending DRs, go figure.

=g=

Reaction score
I have been using dr low riders for awhile now on my cs ssII & love them but recently have been playing with the dr DDT .55-.135 & they sound awesome d-tuned or standard tuning. I sometimes drop it down to play in drop D & occasionaly use my hipshot d-tuner to tune from B string to A & the A sounds still very growly & defined as tuned in B. I highly reccomend these strings especially if you drop tune. Even in standard these strings are very bright & scream & growl when you really dig into the strings which is great since I play pretty heavy with my fingers. Also sound very good with slapping even
the B or A string & cut thru amazingly. I do play Eden wt-800 with 2 d-4x10xlt FYI. I don't think I'll go back to the low riders after using the DDTs.

Reaction score
So far so good! They are on my Corvette Std 5-string tuned a whole step down for the metal band I'm in. We are covering Megadeth's "Holy Wars" because we all like the song and the strings felt tight enough that I could play the song with fingers and not get that Korn-ish fret slap. Plus they still have a nice mid-range growl to them. I'm happy with the strings so far.

holy crap,,,,holy wars in drop tuning,,,,LOL that has to sound like a monster..

Top Bottom