DR Black Beauties?

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a set of DR Black Beauties for my black fretless Corvette 4str. however, i have never tried these strings out, and strings cost insanely much in Sweden so i'll most likely never be able to play through most brands.

What's your opinion on these strings? Sound? Does the coating feel weird at first? etc etc.

Sorry if i've missed info about this in any other string related topic.

Reaction score
Sound good but not as good as Elixir..
The don't last that long either..

but the bass sure looks cool with DR Colour Coated Strings..

I have 3 set of DR strings, 1 Black, 1 Red and 1 Blue...

Reaction score
I got a tip from Manowar`s engineer , Dawk, who have tested every string on the market and found out that D`addario XL-strings was the best. I think it is important to find an easy accessible brand, so you can get it anywhere, and that you don`t have to sell your grannies to afford them. :)

Reaction score
Nowadays i am only using DR Black beauties and Red Devils, To me they sound better than the Elixirs (sorry Marcus) and are easier to play but it's like everything else, we have different tastes and opinions. If You live in Sweden I can probably get a good price. Send me a personal message of what you need and I will see if I can help you out / mats

Reaction score
this message board has to be one of the friendliest places ever! mala - check your inbox! :)

Reaction score
that's exactly the topic i was gonna open in a few minutes.. :D color coated DRs are not imported in italy so i'm going to buy some from the german ebay..i hope to get a good price :roll:

jay

Reaction score
DR extra life

I tried some DR extra lifes in blue. They were coated and had a very tinlike sound. Is that only w/ the extra life DR's?

Reaction score
We are actually going to produce coated strings in Italy but I will not market anything else than Warwick but you will probably find out in the near future / mats

Reaction score
SNOOZE-

I RECENTLY PUT BLACK BEAUTIES ON MY THUMB AND I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED AT ALL DESPITE THE $43.00 PRICE TAG. TO ME, THEY DONT FEEL THAT DIFFERENT FROM NON-COATED STRINGS AND THE TONE IS GREAT. NEEDLESS TO SAY, THEY LOOK GREAT. TRY THEM OUT, WHAT CAN IT HURT? REMEMBER, IF YOU HAVE A 5 STRING, THE LOW B IS NOT TAPERED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO MODIFY THE STRING NEAR THE BALL FOR IT TO FIT INTO THE TAILPIECE PROPERLY. I BELEIVE THAT THE NEWER WARWICKS HAVE AN UPDATED TAILPIECE. JUST KEEP THAT IN MIND. DR ALSO SUGGESTS THAT IF YOU USE A PICK, THE COATING WILL COME OFF IN A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED.

Reaction score
SNOOZE-

DISREGARD THE "5 STRING THING", I JUST REALIZED YOU HAVE A FRETLESS 4 STR FRETLESS. HOW CARELESS OF ME. MY APOLOGIES.

Reaction score
no worries mate :)

i'll make sure to post pictures and my personal opinion once i get a set and have played them for a while.

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question about these strings. Are there any pick players out there who have used these strings? If so, does the pick cause the coating to come off? I would love to try a set but I use a pick about 80% of the time and don't want to waste the money on them if a pick causes them to break down.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
DR PLACES AN ISERT DISCLAIMER IN THE STRING PACKAGING INDICATING THAT IF A PICK IS USED AFTER SEVERAL HOURS THAT THE COLORED COATING MAY COME OFF BUT WON'T AFFECT THE PLAYABILITY OR TONE OF THE STRINGS. I DON'T KNOW PERSONALLY BECAUSE I DON'T USE A PICK. GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE THAT THIS HELPS YOU IN MAKING YOUR DECISION.

Reaction score
just bought a set off ebay..can't wait to put 'em on :D

Reaction score
I had a set of DR Black Beauties on my Thumb BO 4. They had an excellent tone and really high tension (especially good as I am often down-tuned). They do last a lot longer than standard strings but at 3 times the price of standard strings they did not last 3 times longer.

Plus I like to restring my bass every couple of months anyway just so I can get the the fretboard to give it a good oil/clean. My standard strings were just more 'convenient' in the long run.

I'll probably treat myself (and my bass) to them again come birthday/Christmas time. My band loved the look of the black strings.

edit: In fact i've just realised that my avatar pic was taken while the DR Black Beauties were on. Mmmm.

Reaction score
3 times the price? "standard" (ernie ball) strings cost 35-40 euro here (a 110 4-string set), i just got the black beauties on ebay for 29 euro :shock: ..i change strings every 3 months as well, so as long as i find black beauties priced that low, i'll stick with them :D

Reaction score
Must be the UK import tax taking its toll.

From StringBusters.co.uk (v. cheap)
DR Black Beauties - £34
Elites Stadium - £12

3 times the price (almost).

Reaction score
yeah must be taxes..consider that coated strings are not even imported here yet (this is what my shop says), that's why got them from the deutsch ebay 8)

Reaction score
wickedthumb308 said:
DR PLACES AN ISERT DISCLAIMER IN THE STRING PACKAGING INDICATING THAT IF A PICK IS USED AFTER SEVERAL HOURS THAT THE COLORED COATING MAY COME OFF BUT WON'T AFFECT THE PLAYABILITY OR TONE OF THE STRINGS. I DON'T KNOW PERSONALLY BECAUSE I DON'T USE A PICK. GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE THAT THIS HELPS YOU IN MAKING YOUR DECISION.

Thanks for the info- I appreciate it.

Top Bottom