Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Do I need a refret job (ss2 88) ?

Discussion in 'Non - Official Warwick Customer Support' started by Think, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Think

Think

Hello :)
    So here is the story :
    I bought a ss2 from 88, which has been played a lot and the frets are still the original one, and start to get really old.
    The action is set super low, and for now I dont get any unwanted buzz, nor the playability seems affected, but from the looks of it, I'm wondering if I might need a refret job soon.
    What do you guys think?

So here are the pictures :
    IMG_0254.jpg IMG_0255.jpg IMG_0256.jpg IMG_0257.jpg IMG_0258.jpg IMG_0259.jpg IMG_0260.jpg IMG_0261.jpg IMG_0262.jpg IMG_0263.jpg IMG_0264.jpg IMG_0265.jpg IMG_0266.jpg

2. Nachobassman

Nachobassman Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!

Based on those pics, I´m surprised that you are not getting any unwanted fret buzz due to some of those really worn frets (fret 2, for example).

In my non-expert opinion, that bass should sound a lot better after a good fret job. :)

3. 11080

11080 Serbian Bassist

For sure you do.

4. Gnermo

Gnermo

Atleast get them leveled i'd say.

5. shaftbass

shaftbass

Chris
    I would only change something if it were causing problems. You've said there is no buzzing, and no adverse playability. Why change anything?

FYI my 2000 Stage II has some deep fret indentions. They cause me no problems. New frets would look nice, but I won't do anything until they're needed.

[​IMG]

6. Augie

Augie The Desert Bass-ape

Looks like that baby has had more than its fair share of fret re-crowns in its day. Another level will sort out some of the deeply indented frets but some look like they don't have enough left in them to get a proper crown shaped anymore. Probably time for a new set IMHO. Find a good luthier and order a set of brass frets from warwick!

And Shaftbass-i recon all you need is a re-crown and level, not replacements there.

7. shaftbass

shaftbass

Chris
    Nah. It needs nothing and plays superbly. If I notice buzzing, I'll address it. It's fine for now.

8. Augie

Augie The Desert Bass-ape

Its not just a buzz, how do you bend with frets like that! I have a bass with very similar wear and I need to get it seen to, not because its causing buzz, but because it snags when I go to bend.

9. shaftbass

shaftbass

Chris
    The frets on that bass have never gotten in the way of anything I've needed to do with it. Not much bending happens at the first fret for me.

10. DemBoneZ

DemBoneZ Supporting Member

eh i wouldnt change them if they arnt causing any issues. I got basses like that and they play and sound as normal as anything else,

11. Inglewood

Inglewood

Those are terrible.
    A good fretwork and fingerboard level will take the bass to a new dimension. I got a vintage Fender J a while back. Played well, sounded great. Frets were better than those on pics visually, but neck was plagued by dull notes. So, my friend/luthier/tech replaced them, and leveled the fingerboard.
    1105553.img_4663.jpg

The difference it made was HUGE. the frets were some new expensive alloy. And all notes rang to their fullest.

Similar job was done to my MM SR5. Again, with brilliant results. Nothing feels better than a silky smooth relevelled neck with perfect fretwork.

Cheers!

12. Inglewood

Inglewood

Jescar makes some great Evo Gold frets. Which will even allow to keep that famous Warwick aesthetic.

13. Hector

Hector Moderator Staff Member

If you want it to "look nice", maybe ask a good luthier to polish and recrown them (bass players please correct me if I'm wrong in terms of Basses, but this is what we Guitarists can do to fix flat spots.. shortens the life of the fret, yes.. but offers other advantages).

14. Inglewood

Inglewood

Bass is a stringed instrument like the guitar, so similar concepts apply :)

Fret level/polish/recrowning is a cheap fix, like waxing a shot paintjob on a car. Older instruments will not only profit from new frets, but from fingerboard levelling job that goes in conjunction. A mate of mine had his rosewood fingerboard leveled and polished to almost a mirror like gloss without using sealant/coats, just finer and finer grit of sandpaper followed by a wax.

A new fret is a new fret. Nothing beats it. When my Wick frets wear I would slap some EVO Gold frets on there.

15. tpa

tpa

Did You get a clear answer :lol: Looks like 1st fret is bad rest are OK. You could also ask a luthier to replace the 1st fret and do a level/polish. Looks like the Just-a-Nut might has been set a bit too low. Luthier needs to observe the special alloy for the fretwire. But frankly - I wouldn't do anything if the condition does not affect playability.

16. Inglewood

Inglewood

Fellas, those frets are shot. No othet way around it. As in completely. Jescar makes Evo Gold frets. Also the fingerboard desperately needs levelling.

17. Marcoelwray

Marcoelwray Commercial User

Marco
    @Think if you need some help with this, I'm in Belgium :) et je parle français évidemment.

Those frets are dying, but if it's still working nice for you, you dont reallty need to change them. this is your call anyway.