Difference between an active W in passive mode and a passive

Reaction score
I'd like to know if there are any differences between a passive Corvette and an active Corvette in passive mode. I know they have a push/pull knob that makes it passive from active, but I've heard that the sound is still not the same as the true passive model.

Reaction score
The Passive Model, (I have one) Sounds like a Jazz Bass on Steroids, and it's no lie, I've compared it directly to a Fender Jazz bass, and my Bass has BALLS, not the output, but the sheer DEPTH of the Warwick Sound of Wood.

Reaction score
Yes, I have one too, it's just that I'm thinking about trading it for an active version of the same bass. Now I know that active warwicks can be operated as passive as well, but I want to know if it's the same as the true passive model or if there are any differences.

Reaction score
TO MY EXPIRIENCE, ACTIVE BASSES HAS THE ADVANTAGE OF SOUNDING CLEAR THAN THE PASSIVE ONES. MINE HAS AN 18V CIRCUITRY, EVERY TYPE & CONDITIONS OF AMPS (WORN-OUT OR LOW END) ON DIFFERENT GIGS THAT I PLAYED, MY ACTIVE BASS SEEMS TO SOUND CLEAR.

Reaction score
WELL DOOD, YOUR CORVETTE IS LOADED. IMAGINE IF YOUR BATTERY RUN OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GIG, YOU DON'T HAVE TO PANIC, JUST SHIFT TO PASSIVE MODE AND PRESTO, YOU STILL CAN CONTINUE YOUR NUMBER. JUST ADJUST THE VOLUME OR SIMPLY RE-PLUG YOUR JACK TO HIGH db INPUT.

Reaction score
My active Thumb basses do not work when the battery is flat, passive mode or not. (Well maybe at headphone volume through a 350watt amp) As well as having active tone circuitry they also have active pickups which still require a 9v supply.

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, active Corvettes have passive pickups, so it's possible in this case

Reaction score
Lets not forget that when you switch to passive mode on your active bass, the tone controls are deactivated. That may be a huge consideration.

Reaction score
Xring is totally right!
an aktive ww in passiv mode has got just one sound (exept you change the ballence between the PU´s). a Passiv warwick has got an passiv EQ.

i would gess there woul be no difference in sound between an aktiv bass switched passiv an an passiv bass, is all values in the passivs bass EQ are set to +/-0.

Reaction score
Hmmmm when i put my bass into passive mode, the tone is sucked out abit, it's more warm, the growl is lost abit imo. When i put it back to active, the bass starts barking again! :lol:

Reaction score
that's a huge difference i hear on my $$..and it's why i started carrying a spare 9v battery in my rockbag :D

Reaction score
munkeh said:
Hmmmm when i put my bass into passive mode, the tone is sucked out abit, it's more warm, the growl is lost abit imo. When i put it back to active, the bass starts barking again! :lol:

this is not about the difference of a bass in aktiv or passiv mode, so i don´t know, what this has to do with the topic?
if you set your EQ all to 12 o´clock (2-band eq) ist just the sound as in passiv mode. because nothing is added or blocked out. with the right EQ settings on your amp you could also give the bass back its growl. but you don´t run to your amp all the time, do you?

Top Bottom