Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Delano Pickups In Usa

Discussion in 'Bass Pickups & Electronics' started by Marcoelwray, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Marcoelwray

Marcoelwray Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Hi guys,

I don't really know about Delano in USA, but I recently talked with Delano's CEO, as a start for my (little) company, I have a 10% discount on retail. As my main goal isn't to make money (I have a full daytime job), I could sell as an official retailer for you, with ridiculous benefits.

I have an appointement with my accountant today, for international invoices, at least, in UE, but if the shipping costs and taxes are decent, I could export to US , directly to customers (you guys)...

But what about Delano pricing? Are they expensive?

I'll always take the same reference model: JMVC 4 FE/M2 : it costs 182€ at bassparts.de, I could sell them for 175€ (all prices excl. shipping)

I just checked shipping costs; should be about 25€, SO let's stop the maths;

INDICATIVE PRICE could be 225$ to your door for a set of JMVC 4 FE/M2...

As I'm in direct contact with Delano, I can, of course, sell the whole line up and custom orders. Just if someone could tell me how much you pay for that in US????

It's more for helping you, not for mounting a huge buisness here...

2. Rehan

Rehan

Marcoelwray likes this.
  3. Marcoelwray

Thanks, I can't really be competitive against these prices... 238$ in US versus 200$ in Belgium (shipping will get me to almost same prices)....

At least I checked :)

4. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Supporting Member

But you can be in Europe. And delano are good pickups, and they do have what we need- that TJ pickup. Tell us more about it, is it active, or passive, is it a direct replacement for MEC one?

Marcoelwray likes this.
  5. carvello

carvello

I have a pair of Delano’s in my vampyre and they are very nice!

Florin and Marcoelwray like this.
  6. Marcoelwray

In fact since my first Thumb BO4 I bought in 2004, they are my first choice for MEC replacement. In 2002 I used them in a Warmoth JB I build for a friend. Since then, I'm exploring all the possibilities but the more I discover, the less I want to know, because I was never disappointed in ANY Delano pickup I bought or I adviced to someone.

Oddly, the lineup is quasi similar to MEC…. I Don't know why. So, to my knowledge, there is not one single Warwick (not custom with 7 PUs of course) which can't be quipped with Delano's.

MEC are good pickups. But how hard I tried (a TON of different preamps), I Always missed Something. This Something was more dynamics and a more open range. And all that with keeping your Warwick tone very authentic. They are not really cheap, but they are far from Aguilar, Haussel, Nordstrand, etc,... 300 € price tag.

Disclaimer; following sentence is just MHO; I Simply hate active pickups because I found them totally useless. A good preamp does the job if you need gain. With a Delano you got hi gain even with passive operation. For example, the Tj called "DJC4 HE/M2" is far, far better than the mec TJ, offers more possibilities. It's not a dummy coil between two single ones, it's 4 coils (2 humbucks).

Finitions of the pickups are pretty basic (I mean no fancy things) but near perfection at every order I placed. For my second build I made for a friend, I mounted Seymour's SBC5, the most simple soapbars you can find. Once all the bass done, setup, and soundchecked, I deliver it to my friend, he played it a whil and get back to me with his toughts; "I need more growl, it has to be more punchy, but I still need a warm wooly sound…", so I advice him to buy a set of SBC5 HE/S. Now he Simply found what tone he was looking in a 5 string bass for the past 10 years… He keeps saying that my bass is the most important thing but I know that the charachter of my Infinga 5 couldn't be complete without these Delano's…

I can speak about hours of these pickups. I recently swap my very used MEC active J on my Thumb BO5; I had to order a custom set because it's twice J bridge housing. You know what? Custom size is a free option and instead of the 4 weeks announcend it was there in 2 !

I Don't deny the quality of other pickups, like the excellents handmade Bassculture pickups, or some Nordstrand models that are Simply piece of ingeniosity… But, for what it worths, it's like a BMW in Europe; probably not the more fancy car you can find, but the most efficient and versatile, with a big range of engines. I can't find the equivalent in US. Maybe a Cadillac? lol. Doesn't matter. For the demonstration sake's, I had no video but just a picture of my second build which is my friend's now:

[​IMG]

7. jester

jester Moderator Moderator

Which Nordstrands do you have in mind?