custom thumb

Reaction score
so im thinkin bout getting my first warwick custom within the next year and i have a couple of questions. first off, im thinking of getting just a regular thumb 5 nt with all the same woods, possibly with a wenge neck. and im thinking of getting if with a solid hp black finish. I read somewhere awhile ago that a gloss finish like that affects the tone of the bass, kinda like not letting it "breath" i was just wondering if this had any substance to it? seems wierd but just curious. and also if anybody knew a rough estimate of the dragon inlay (usd) any help is appreciated. thanks.

LX

Reaction score
Well andy i'm sorry i don't know the price for the inlays, but i know something else.

See i've got a Thumb NT myself and i thought about getting it with a black body finish.
I don't think that the finish is changing the tone in a way that it has no more "breath" but with a Warwick you will get THE sound of wood and i tell you...you should see the wood!
You'll never ever regret it!

So don't just think twice about that.

Greetz

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Andy311

I think you should get whatever you fancy. I'd like my next bass in a high gloss sunburst, then I'd have a natural, an oil finish, and a high gloss.

When you get a natural wood Warwick, you do tend to get a bit obsessed with the waxing... and they do look great... but not sure if the gloss makes the difference to the sound to a noticable extent!

O

odominguez

The finish doesn't normally affect the sound of the wood. The wood helps by vibrating, not necessarily by breathing. :p. If you order a bass with a high polish black finish, you will notice no diffrence between that and the standard Thumb NT.

But on another note, if you do that, the beautiful Bubinga Pommele will be covered by black paint. :p

Reaction score
odominguez said:
But on another note, if you do that, the beautiful Bubinga Pommele will be covered by black paint. :p

Good point... there are some woods I wouldn't want to cover up. I think something like a flamed maple top with a transparent gloss (with a bit of a two tone sunburst) would look great. I'd always keep the Bubinga Pommele in natural

Hasn't Lex got a solid white Thumb or something like that?

O

odominguez

saxonbass said:
odominguez said:

Good point... there are some woods I wouldn't want to cover up. I think something like a flamed maple top with a transparent gloss (with a bit of a two tone sunburst) would look great. I'd always keep the Bubinga Pommele in natural

As far as I know, it's a solid white Streamer Stage I with an Afzelia Body and wenge neck.

Reaction score
man if I were you, I'd keep the finish natural. But if you really want it black, then go for it!

Reaction score
andy311 said:
and also if anybody knew a rough estimate of the dragon inlay (usd) any help is appreciated. thanks.

Rough estimate of the Dragon Inlay: 1000 Euro (regular inlay, like Spirit, or Yin Yang costs approximately 400 Euro).

Good luck. :D

jay

Reaction score
Paint it if you want it black. No waxing! ...

Florin

OG
Reaction score
saxonbass said:
odominguez said:

I love the sound of maple instruments too. But for me Birdseye maple or flamed maple looks too precious/ fragile, so I'd cover it with solid color. But I love the look of the bubinga natural. More than bubinga pomele :)

Reaction score
thanks guys i didnt think it would affect the tone, just curious. and it's gonna be awhile till i can get this (college kid) :cry: so ill have plenty of time to think about it, but man im just so torn between finish or no. Hardest decision of my life. lol

Reaction score
andy311 said:
thanks guys i didnt think it would affect the tone, just curious. and it's gonna be awhile till i can get this (college kid) :cry: so ill have plenty of time to think about it, but man im just so torn between finish or no. Hardest decision of my life. lol

Thomann.de actually is selling a Nirvana Black Thumb 5 NT for around 3000 Euro. They don't say whether it's a coloured oil finish or high polish. This should be a lot cheaper than getting your own custom made. Check it out.

Reaction score
+1.The finish will not affect the tone.Human ears just aint that highly evovled.

Reaction score
Ryan Martinie plays a Black Thumb NT. Doesn't seem to affect his tone (although it's probably heavily customised).

Reaction score
SurrenderMonkey said:
Ryan Martinie plays a Black Thumb NT. Doesn't seem to affect his tone (although it's probably heavily customised).

There are differences in sound between the Thumbs he plays, but indeed, most likely it's not because of the fact whether it's a natural finish or not. Last time I saw Mudvayne live, Ryan played his old school 5 string Thumb NT (standard) with Wenge neck, and a black custom 4 string NT. His 5 stringer sounded a lot better in my opinion.................. 8)

Lex

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
odominguez said:
saxonbass said:
odominguez said:

As far as I know, it's a solid white Streamer Stage I with an Afzelia Body and wenge neck.

close ollie!

Streamer Stage 1 HP white finish
Afzelia Body / Ovangkol Neck
Ebony fingerboard painted white
Blue Sims LEDs

And one large crack in the paint thanks to Virgin Airlines Australia.

Best sounding bass i have had.... I miss it so much. Hopefully won't be waiting much longer.

Reaction score
ThirdthumB said:
There are differences in sound between the Thumbs he plays, but indeed, most likely it's not because of the fact whether it's a natural finish or not. Last time I saw Mudvayne live, Ryan played his old school 5 string Thumb NT (standard) with Wenge neck, and a black custom 4 string NT. His 5 stringer sounded a lot better in my opinion.................. 8)

4 string thumbs and 5 stings thumbs are always quite different sounding instruments due to the very different pickup placement

Top Bottom