Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Custom Shop Question...

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Myrk, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Myrk

Myrk

OK, I emailed a store asking some questions about their Custom Shop process but they told me to give them a call. However, I don't feel like paying for a lengthy international call so I thought I'd post a few questions here! :p

Basically what I want, is a standard swamp ash Corvette 5-string, with active/active EQ. The only difference, is that I want to get a "Karelian Birch" top on it, so....

1) Is there an instant surcharge because the bass in now "classified" as a CS?

2) In general, do stores charge their own (obviously reduced) rates or the whole instrument now get calculated by its RRP (much more expensive)....

So basically, say a shop charges $890 for the bass I want and I want to tack on a birch top which is $192. Will the total price generally be (890 + 192) or are there many extra charges because its a custom shop bass?

Any help very much appreciated!

2. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

First off, what do you mean by "active/active EQ"? Do you want active pickups?

3. Myrk

Myrk

My bad...I meant "config". So active pickups + active EQ...

Also, can anyone here recommend some US or UK online stores, that have international shipping and will let me order a CS through them?

4. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

No worries... that's what I thought you meant. Just so you know, the $$ comes standard with passive MM-style pickups (by MEC), so active humbuckers would also be a custom modification. The only active MM-style humbuckers that Warwick offers, to the best of my knowledge, are EMG's. I've been considering throwing them (or dual MEC TwinJazz) in my $$ recently...

5. Myrk

Myrk

Ohhhh sorry. I meant just the normal Corvette (single coil one), not the $$...

I should've phrased it better! :p

6. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

So, obviously it would be more helpful if I could freakin' read! :x

Sorry about that, somehow I thought you meant the $$.

I'll try to make up for it... so by the US pricelist (I'm not sure where you're located), a 5-string Corvette Standard Ash (active/active) retails for $2130 and the Karelian Birch top would add $335 ($2465 total). Depending on what kind of discount you can find (30% is pretty standard), that should give you a pretty good idea...

7. Myrk

Myrk

About $1800 Australian Dollars! Not bad at all actually.

Thanks for the info man!

8. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Yo Myrk,
    If you're in Australia,you really should order this thru an Australian dealer.Ordering overseas is going to incur costs when you import it.
    I suggest Bass People in Sydney.

9. Curtis

Curtis Editor De Bassist magazine (NL)

And visit the Custom Shop chapter of this forum. You can read a lot about prices, experiences, discounts and possibilities.

10. Myrk

Myrk

Hi Greg. The reason I was considering overseas dealers is because Warwicks seem to be a major ripoff here. For example, even just a plain Corvette 5-String (active/active) costs about $2,600 here....(if I order from UK, I can get one for < $2,000 including ALL shipping costs and import taxes). So basically, I just assumed the situation would be exactly the same here with Custom Shop basses? I might be wrong though.

Curtis - thanks mate, I'll be sure to check out the Custom Shop chapter!

11. trujo777

trujo777

It's ok Myrk... Evolvebass thinks that all Warwicks are or SHOULD be :)lol::lol:) $$s. :roll::lol::lol::lol:

12. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

:eek:

:lol:

Okay, you got me.

13. trujo777

trujo777

I know ... ;) LOL :lol::lol::lol:

14. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

I do realize, however, that the $$ is not for everyone. ;)

And even I reach for a Jazz bass every now and then... :p

15. Ian

Ian The Undecided Frog

When you ask for a CS bass, you pay the price of the bass + the price of the option. That's it.

16. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

The reason I mentioned Bass People is coz of their dynamic pricing policy.To put it simply,as the Aussie dollar goes up,the prices of imported gear goes down.Currently,the AUD is very close to being equal to the USD,so prices for us are better than they've been for quite some time.
    Also,I'm not 100% certain on this,but overseas Warwick dealers may well be willing to sell you a new production model bass,but when it comes to a custom order,they might not want to be involved,for fear of stepping on the Aussie distibutor's toes.
    Anyway,Ya should give Bass People a try,ask them for a quote & you might be very surprised at the price you're quoted.They currently have alot of Warwick stock on hand & are selling for up to,& over 30% off the MSRP prices.Just be aware that the list prices you see in online ads,are the maximum reccomended retail price(MSRP) & you NEVER see any dealers not discounting on those prices.
    Good luck mate & keep us posted about how you get along.;)

17. Myrk

Myrk

Thanks for the advice Greg! I've actually just sent Bass People an email asking them for a quote on the CS I want. Hopefully it works out well. :)

If anyone wants to know the custom I'm considering it's:

Ash Corvette 5-String (active/active) + flamed blackwood top + oval inlays + matched headstock + Natural Oil finish

another option is the same Corvette, but with a body made out of Karelian Birch (no idea how that'll sound, but it's a cool idea)... :p

18. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

8:

Sounds killer. The oval inlays (pure nacre) like on the LTD 2009? They look insanely cool in person!

19. Myrk

Myrk

It's the mother of pearl oval inlays. I like them because they look nice but are still non-pretentious. :p Also, they are some of the cheapest inlays on the CS pricelist. :D

Probably similar to the LTD 2009...I've only ever found 2 photos of a bass with those inlays, and I can't seem to track down the other one...(the other bass had the ovals inlays aligned differently though).

20. Myrk

Myrk

Bah!

*ELLIPSE* inlays is what I meant! Like in this bass:

[​IMG]