Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

custom bass or amp

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by tremor100, Jan 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. tremor100

tremor100

okay so im going to have some money coming to me soon and i want to put towards bass of course :p. SOOO heres what im really debating.. should i get a custom shop corvette $$ with a nice finish and ebony fingerboard... or a head a cab. Currently im playing through a combo peavy with 2x12. Its alright it has alot of bottom end and its almost a agressive tone which i dont mind.. but every show where ive used someone elses head and cab the tone has been much more clean and ...well different lol and me not being that old yet changing around the tone knobs for 5 minutes comes out of our set time. , so i usally just use the active eq to balance the tone. And my basses are epiphone goth thunderbird (nice bass but very limited by its undefined fat tone), a g&l tribute (low end model) l2500, and of course a warwick thumb 5 BO. See you might be like.. amp.. because i have some decent basses. But like after playing my warwick thumb i loved the feel and eveything about it so much i wanted another custom one. And i dont know why but like.. another bass seems more rewarding money wise then new speakers. What would you guys reccomend... seeing as how i dont REALLY need either cause my amp is pretty good for practicing and local bar shows right now anyways. Thanks

2. avionix543

avionix543

Here's how I see it.
    1. New bass. You'd have four basses and the Peavey amp. The three you have now would sound the same and you'd have one new bass to try and tweak into the Peavey's comfort zone. Certainly fun, certainly another five minutes during the set.
    2. New amp. You'd have the same three basses you have now but all of them would sound different, which wouldn't be too far away from having three new basses.

So. Three current basses, one new bass. OR Three current basses that sound like three new ones, plus some new knobs to tweak on.

~M~

ps- whatever you do, buy new strings for all of them... :D

3. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

I'd go with the amp + cabs. I'd get a nice GK / Eden / Ampeg whatever your poison is, they will bring out the quality of the basses more. For 1k, you would get a really nice sytem, especially 2nd hand.

But hey, it's your money, nothing wrong with a custom corvette $$ either :)

4. Vinnie

Vinnie

You could also get one of those cool Hellborg ones if the price isn't too steep. :D

5. Casey

Casey Guest

I'd also go with the new head/cab... I was never the kind of person to have a bunch of instruments... 1 good bass and 1 good amp does it for me :) Who needs a backup when you have a warwick? :p

6. Z3r0_G

Z3r0_G

almost any shit bass can sound good thru a good amp....

7. Michael J

Michael J

Go to every music store you can with your flagship bass and use every amp you can get your hands on. What ever you do, do not buy it without playing it first... and test it with all of your basses first to.

Brands to keep an eye on:
    Eden
    Accugroove
    Epifani
    Schroeder
    GK
    Ampeg
    Phil Jones
    Glockenklang

Just play everything- youll find one im sure.

8. Ian

Ian The Undecided Frog

Add Genz Benz, kick ass amps !

9. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

& Warwick,their amps aint too shabby.

10. Vinnie

Vinnie

Especially with the new Helborg series. Plus you should also try a Mesa...

11. tremor100

tremor100

I have a offer for a used Apeg SVTII pro with a 4x10 cab for 1700 even (i live in canada). With the case for the head. I think i might take that offer because that would cost me over 3000 dollars new...what are your thoughts? Any bad ampeg stories lol.

12. Casey

Casey Guest

never had a complaint about an ampeg... my fav amps :D

13. Cale

Cale

I play an SVT3Pro into and Eden 410T.

I absolutely love my Eden...no questions...end of story.

My SVT3pro on the other hand sounds good, is VERY reliable and I love the features (stompable mute/2nd channel/GraphicEQ). After 11years :!: of gigging the amp finally gave out on me and I did a shoot out with an SWR550x and G&K 500watter of some sort. Loved the SWR tone, but didn't have the features of the 3pro. Ended up buying another 3pro. Hard working amp with plenty of power when eq'd correctly, tho I wish it had the simplicity of the SWR.

Ampeg is great stuff.

14. H8ER 321

H8ER 321

I am gonna help everyone by highlighting the best one in your list.... :mrgreen:

Phil jones gets an honorable mention.

15. Z3r0_G

Z3r0_G

i think hartke aluminium cones help bring out some of the growl.

16. Cale

Cale

I played a Hartke Rig (4x10 + 1X15) when we opened for the Village People (please don't laugh)...never been a big fan of aluminum cones but that rig did sound awesome!!!

17. Casey

Casey Guest

I played a gk backline awhile back with the cabs that use alum cones... Surpringly for a cheap backline head it sounded pretty awesome...