Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Corvette $$ vs. Corvette Std. Bubinga

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Crossdrop, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Crossdrop

Crossdrop

As I already wrote into the CS forum yesterday, well, I'm gonna buy a wick. My first one actually, but I just love the growl :)

Today, I could compare a Corvette $$ 5 against a Corvette Std. Bubinga 5. I played both basses for hours :D The Std. had active electronics, but I'm not sure about the PUs. The sign on the bass said active, but on the PUs wasn't written "Dynamic Correction" as on two other Std. So I don't know ;)
    Well first, the $$ has gut BIG BALLS in humbucking mode. Sounded all great to me, and the versatility is unreached. The Single Coils also sounded nice, making it sound less angry :)
    Then the Std. Bubinga...well, somehow, I feld more comfortable with it. I don't know which frequences that were, either hig mids, or highs, or whatever, but somehow that bass sounded more brilliant. In comparison, I wold describe the sound of the $$ (in SC-mode!) as if there was a carpet in front of the cab.
    In the area of the 3rd fret, E and A string, the Std's balls weren't as big as the $$'s, but somehow, it still sounded 'tighter' to me.

It's really a hard decision, but if I had to chose between them, I think I would choose the Std. But actually, my decision isn't made yet. The last couple of months, I was thinking about a $$ with a bubinga body. So the question I now have is what affects the sound impression I described above more: The Wood or the PUs? If I chose a $$ with bubinga body, would it sound tighter as the ash bodied $$? Would it have more brilliances? Or are the $$s simply not able to fully sound like a SC? Someone told me, he has the $$ NT Bubinga, and in SC mode, his impression is, that something is missing in the sound (of course, a whole coil, haha). I hope you understand, what I mean, because that was exactly the impression I had today...

You see, this is really a though issue to me...so pleeeeease, tell me what you think, what a Bubinga-$$ with BO-Ovangkol neck would sound like....

Thank You ;)

2. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

"Dynamic Correction" is on the passive single-coils. If they had the MEC gold lettering, they were active.

Your descriptions sound pretty right on to me. Active J's on bubinga will sound more "brilliant" and "tighter", than passive MM's on ash. Personally, I wouldn't buy a $$ for single-coil 'mode' anyway... I run dual-parallel about 95% of the time, and occasionally use the neck pickup in series mode.

I just commented the other day (in a different thread) of how I'd really like to hear a bubinga-bodied $$ with a bolt-on ovangkol neck. But unfortunately, that would have to be a Custom Shop bass. So unless there's someone on the forum that has ordered one (I've seen a couple in the CS gallery), I don't think anyone can give you a definite answer. But I think it's safe to assume that you'd get a tighter sound with bubinga in place of ash - but still not as brilliant as active J's.

3. Crossdrop

Crossdrop

Oh, I would have thought that "Dynamic Correction" is on actives, because...it actuslly sounds like that ^^
    Anyway, so I played the Corvette with the active PUs.

OK, I also wan't to know how a bubinga-bodied $$ will sound, but somehow, I don't want to be the guinea pig for that..."Hey, this is my 1.5k€ Warwick, and I hate it". Hmm...

OK, tomorrow I will go to a fifferent store, and play the Zebrano $$ SE (with half Zebrano/Half ash body), a German SE with half Bubinga body, half ash, and a basslines JM configuration, as well as a Standard ash. If the standard ash also sounds less brilliant and tight, I might expect, that the sound I described for the $$ comes from an Ash body...:)

4. herb vibes

herb vibes

ask reno he has a $$ nt thumb!

5. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hey Crossdrop,

A corvette $$ with bubinga body, will sound like the one with ash body, only tighter.
    When you compared them, you saw that the STD one have a snappier sound, while the $$ is deeper, but somehow duller.
    Well, A single coil will always sound like that, and a MM humbucker will always sound fat, but not very articulated.
    As Jeff said, it would be a mistake to buy a $$ and to use it for the single coil mode only, because the std will do this better for less price :)
    But if you like the humbucker mode, then a bubinga bodied $$ would be a really nice instrument.

6. Crossdrop

Crossdrop

Of course, I don't want to use it in Single Coil mode only, but I have I have the opportunity, I thought I maybe would use it from time to time...
    But thanks for your answer, Florin! But somehow, this makes me even more unsure about it ;)
    Anyway, I know that my bass has to have a bubinga body ^^

7. Eberbachl

Eberbachl

Bubinga Corvette STD is a lovely instrument - no doubt about that. That's exactly the bass that I have and love - I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

A Bubinga $$? Meh - I can't get excited about the whole $$ thing - but that's just me...YMMV.

:d

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2009
  8. Crossdrop

Crossdrop

But they have the biggest balls a bass I played has ever had! ;)

9. Eberbachl

Eberbachl

Meh - my balls are big enough. I just need my bass to sound great.

:lol:

;)

10. Mokkat

Mokkat

I have a G&L L2000 with 2xhumbuckers, as ballsy and loud as they come, and Im gassing for a STD corvette at the moment :D

11. golem

golem Philosopher King

So you wanna know about the effect of the ash vs the
    bubinga body without creating a CS bubinga $$ just
    to find out ?

Well if your local shop is reasonably well-stocked with
    the least expensive Wicks, then you should find both a
    passive bubinga JJ Vett and also a passive ash JJ Vett.
    Since the only difference between them is the body
    wood you can get a feel for "ash vs bubinga" that way.

If the cheapest bubinga Vett in the shop happens to
    be active, you can still come close to the above idea.
    Just set the tone AND VOLUME knobs wide open on a
    ash passive JJ, and on an active bubinga Vett work on
    dialing in the closest sound its got to resembling the
    wide open passive ash Vett. You won't get a dead-on
    match, but the difference, when you've got it as close
    as you can, will be MOSTLY the ash vs bubinga effect.

Do NOT just set an active bubinga's EQ to "flat", cuz
    that is arbitrary and misleading. Try for a close tonal
    match, by ear. OTOH 3 knobs wide open on a passive
    Vett is the closest such a bass gets to "flat", and thaz
    the sound you try to simulate using the active EQ on
    the active bubinga Vett.

12. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Good Idea, Golem!

13. Crossdrop

Crossdrop

Hi again,

I was away over the weekend, but not without testing yet another Warwick:
    Warwick Corvette $$ 5-String Zebrano - Special Edition -

This nice axe...I really was astonished how much the sound changes to an all-ash body. That thing is exactly the same, just with half of the body made of Zebrano...it sounded WAY different to the ash version. The sound was way more open, with very crispy highs. The lowrange was VERY tight, all in all the sound was more than defined. It just blew away the ash-$$ that I know can't believe so many people are loving...just because, in comparison, it sounds not even close as good!
    So, you see, I was very surprised and found a sound that comes very close to my imagniation...BUT: I didn't buy that bass :(
    Hell, I'm not exactly sure. The salesman said that bubinga (whose appearence I still prefer over all) would sound quite close to Zebrano, a bit less crispy in the highs (those were a bit too much on the Zebrano), not that defined but a bit warmer.

So I think, the Bubinga-$$ might still sound great to me. I actually think I'll go for that one. Just a last question (I hope that you agree with me): The Bubinga sounded much tighter than the ash. Zebrano sounded way more open than ash, and VERY tight and defined. Is bubinga really more on the Zebrano-site, will it still sound tight, and not as muddy and boomy and not as if had a caroet in front of the cab?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate!

14. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

There's a guy that doesnt come here anymore called Malk.He ordered a $$ with an all ovangkol body,which would sound very similar to bubinga.He made some sound clips if you wanna do a search,they might turn up.

15. Crossdrop

Crossdrop

THX Greg, although I only found songs with his band. Bass sounded nice, though ;) He described it somehow like I expected, but said he felt a lack of low end??

Anyway, I hope Bubinga has got almost the definition of Zebrano...with the ash, fast deep notes we're like "boooooooooom". The Zebrano way way more high-defined.
    That's basically all I want to know now ;)

16. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

17. jester

jester ocdemon Moderator

Yanni
  18. Gastrok

Gastrok

really nice looking bass, but it's backwards!;)

19. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

Yeah, what up with that? Ha!

20. McGee

McGee

So EVOLVE,which $$ do you play more often?