Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Corvette $$ String Spacing And Pickup Size

Discussion in 'Bass Pickups & Electronics' started by Narcdor, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Narcdor

Narcdor

Hey all, just picked up a very well loved corvette $$ amd the string alignment over the pickups seems way off to me. I checked the Warwick web store and they list two different MM pickups one neck one bridge, I assume for the taper from bridge to nut. Maybe this has two bridge pickups in it? I thought about adjusting string spacing but it won’t really help just make the problem worse I think. It’s a 2002 model with the strange no ears pickups if that helps.
    [​IMG]

2. verb

verb Good Vibe Sponsor

I would pull the pickups and check if they are MEC units.

3. aguacollas

aguacollas Good Vibe Sponsor

Look like regular MEC pickups to me. Does it sound ok?

4. jester

jester ocdemon Moderator

Yanni
    Imho the alignment is fine, nothing to worry about. And yes, you can always play with the string spacing on the bridge to mitigate things somewhat, aesthetically for the most part. That bass looks like it's seen its share of playing for sure, judging from the corrosion on the pickup adjustment screws. You probably can't adjust pickup heights the way the screws look atm.

5. Narcdor

Narcdor

Sounds ok it just looks off. Yes I can make out the worn off MEC logo too. I’m going to get some new screws etc to refresh the look and feel so it will be at least adjustable, I hope I can get the current screws out they’re so rusted!
    I was considering new pickups too as they’re passive and relatively inexpensive but I can’t find the no ears MEC on the Warwick web shop. Also this is meant to be a cheap bass I can relearn five string on so don’t want to invest too much.

One good thing it’s incredibly light, right on 4kg, feels like a feather compared to the memory of my old corvette Jazzman fiver.

6. jester

jester ocdemon Moderator

Yanni
    For the screws, may I recommend properly aligning a philips screwdriver over them and lightly tapping with something heavy so that the rust and salts are removed. You may want to use a screwdriver that is smaller than what you 'd use to adjust. Then you 'll be able to insert a proper size philips and loosen the screws. I 've had to do it recently on a bass I repaired, trust me you 'll be fine. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

verb and Narcdor like this.
  7. Narcdor

Narcdor

Good tip, thanks!

jester likes this.
  8. Marcoelwray

Marcoelwray Commercial User

Marco
    OMFG, that's a WW who needs some care ! I'd love to do it…

It has, Indeed, twice the same size so obiously the neck one doesn't align as good as the bridge one. Sometimes, even if I like big poles, I like closed caps too...