Corvette STD Bubinga body spec.

Reaction score
Hi pals!
I've got the Corvette 5 std, manufactured in 2010, with BEC2 active preamp on board. But how I can determine which pickups it has - passive or active? Because somebody talking about passive things, another about active. BTW the bass has a little noise when I'm connecting it to the amps. Thanx a lot!

Reaction score
Pictures would be great, but the pickups are as followed:

MEC Dynamic Correction (silver): Passive
MEC Silver logo: Passive
MEC Gold logo: active.

If they are a different brand, you would have to tell us which one it is! :)

Reaction score
Dear Gnermo, thanx for the answer. The pic is here and it seems looks like a passive pups ))
How do you think could I replace these things to active MEC J pickups without changing the preamp (BEC2H)?
IMG_20210913_225454.jpg

Reaction score
Unsure, but my word of advice is changing them to a different brand entirely! :)
There are better pickups out there (especially at the MEC pricepoint)

Reaction score
Unsure, but my word of advice is changing them to a different brand entirely! :)
There are better pickups out there (especially at the MEC pricepoint)
R u meaning passive pickups from other brands or active? Maybe could you name some? I heard only about EMG, but active pickups with new preamp. Could I change the MEC's without preamp replacing? Thanx a lot!

BrusselsBass

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Ulrich
Dear Gnermo, thanx for the answer. The pic is here and it seems looks like a passive pups ))
How do you think could I replace these things to active MEC J pickups without changing the preamp (BEC2H)?
View attachment 23437
The MEC PUs are passive (silver branding). Actives are gold.
Why do you want to change them if they are working? IMO these PUs with the bubinga body gave a very unique and bodied sound with lots of mids.

Reaction score
The MEC PUs are passive (silver branding). Actives are gold.
Why do you want to change them if they are working? IMO these PUs with the bubinga body gave a very unique and bodied sound with lots of mids.

I'd like to search the way for decreased noisy sound without any outside devices. Firstly I'd like to install active MEC's without changing preamps, but it's impossible as I understand correctly.

Last edited:

BrusselsBass

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Ulrich
search the way for decreased noisy sound
What noise is bothering you? When the bass/trebble is in the middle positioning there shouldn't be much noise. If you pull the volume pit (passive mode) is the noise still there?
Noise could also come from a worn jack. Do you have a new battery in?
Maybe get it checked by a luthier?

Reaction score
Can pickups even be noisy?
I figured if thats the case it's usually the shielding or something else.

Reaction score
What noise is bothering you? When the bass/trebble is in the middle positioning there shouldn't be much noise. If you pull the volume pit (passive mode) is the noise still there?
Noise could also come from a worn jack. Do you have a new battery in?
Maybe get it checked by a luthier?
When the knobs are in the middle there is much more noise than on only bridge pickup. On passive mode the noise is still there. I have a good quality cables. The battery is new )) Yes, maybe the amps have a not good wirings, maybe.

Can pickups even be noisy?
I figured if thats the case it's usually the shielding or something else.
Guys, you right - I should check it out by the luthier. Thanx a lot for your involvement!

BrusselsBass

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Ulrich
Could be also a poti, not sure. Best to get it checked by a pro.

Top Bottom