Cool Films You've Seen Lately

kimgee

Wenge Taste Tester
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
depends on who's asking
So I've been back in sci-fi mode, and I've been watching a series of movies I had originally avoided thinking they would be too juvenile. I speak of The Hunger Games. I've now seen the first three, and I've got the fourth one here. I have to say: I'm hooked. First of all, the cast is a dream: Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, Donald Sutherland, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Julianne Moore, plus the talented young Jennifer Lawrence in the protagonist's role, just to name a few. Even Lenny Kravitz turns out to be an excellent actor. It also happens to be a great story, full of moral ambiguities and a real human heart.

I love these types of stories: rebellion against a dystopian future state. Everything from Star Wars to V for Vendetta to The Matrix fits this mold. My GF just recommended I check out the Divergent franchise. Any other recommendations along these lines?
You might enjoy "The Island" -
If you haven't yet seen "12 Monkeys".....it is required -

kimgee

Wenge Taste Tester
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
depends on who's asking
What do you mean??

Is people out there that haven't seen 12 Monkeys??:eek:
Hard to believe isn't it? It's mostly these youngsters nowadays. I talked to a co-worker recently, he's about 22 years old, and he had never seen or heard of "Fight Club"! Talk about living under a rock. Yeesh!

Reaction score
Just watched this one as a YouTube recommendation after watching some weird film.
I enjoyed it though-- it's a slightly surreal slow-burn thriller, and I must say that the lovely Brooke Mills is rather easy on the eyes. Hey, as my friends know, redheads are my kryptonite!

Anyhow it has a good resolution and a few well-known actors in it.

Without further adieu, I present to you Dream No Evil from 1970.

Reaction score
I first saw Shock 'Em Dead! on cable not long after it was released in 1991. This heavy metal take on Goethe's Faust (and a B-grade Traci Lords vehicle) was rather entertaining. Also from a musician's perspective it is relatable and at times downright hilarious.

Here are some of my favcorite clips which suggest that either the screenwriter was a musician or he had a friend who was-

1:01 to 1:02:30 Auction with the band that had earlier rejected him before his fateful deal with the devil--

20:40 - 25:00 First gig and usurpation of the band's lead singer -- you know it brings to mind an 80's band called Alcatraz and its very talented singer Graham Bonnet, and that guitarist ... hmmm ... trying to think o this name -- I believe he was from Sweden, and if I remember correctly, his middle initial is J-- ha!

41:45 - 43:20 Negotiating a record deal-- in a some ways I admit I can relate to a couple of the villainous protagonist's comments.

Anyhow here is the link to view the whole film for free on YouTube-- mind you the resolution isn't exactly 1080P but it is free. I've no doubt that my more tech savvy and resourceful Warwick bro's can come up with something better.

Reaction score
Decided to check this out- subtle satire at a low budget, and I got a chuckle out of it-

Dialog and scenes that gave me a chuckle found at time stamps- 27:48-58, 30:34 - 31:43, and 47:21-51

Reactions: RIP

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Watched Donnie Darko again yesterday.
Seemed cheesy rather then great this time. I am a bored old man.

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
If you like "shoot em' up" movies, check out Nobody

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Yeah @RIP enjoyed that but I like Odenkirk a lot. Hope he recovers, he collapsed on set the other day with some heart issue.
if anyone needs a good action move, ” Atomic Blonde” is a great flick

Reaction score
D00A548E-84DE-4B47-AD6D-BFDCBF84E2D9.jpeg

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Do you still know the movie "Assault on Precinct 13" by John Carpenter?

Reaction score
There was a Clint Eastwood marathon while visiting with my parents in Florida-

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I’ve heard of it, but not seen it. Didn’t come out in the mid-70’s?
Yes, "Assault..." is a mid 70´s movie. John Carpenter made some GREAT movies back then. Also "They live" is a "must see!". That new movie "Veterans of foreign wars" is made just like those 70´s/80´s movies. Even the soundtrack sounds alike! A well made homage! With lots of blood and guts, hehe!

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I enjoyed “They Live” for sure-

When you mentioned “Veterans of Foreign Wars” I thought of Heavy Metal (1981) whose soundtrack features “Veteran of the Psychic Wars” by Blue Oyster Cult among other songs-

Last edited:
Top Bottom