Cool Films You've Seen Lately

Reaction score
so do you have a wheel of pain there? :)
Forgot all about that- talk about an endorphin rush- the last time I missed three days of work-

I’ve had family there since the early-70’s and my last visit was in October -

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Just watched Frida, the Frida Kahlo biopic. Excellent, engrossing film about one of art's true originals. Recommended.

Reaction score
Just watched Frida, the Frida Kahlo biopic. Excellent, engrossing film about one of art's true originals. Recommended.

It's totally appropriate that Big Business recognise this Visionary with a Barbie

Reaction score
I am planning on watching

" I am not your Negro" which is like a documentary built from unpublished James Baldwin writings. He was totally amazing.

Reaction score
BBC’s 1979 production of Huxley’s Brave New World- Two priceless scenes for me start at 13 and 20 minutes-

Reactions: RIP
Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I hated the original, but all the same on Friday night I watched the remake of Jumanji based on a co-worker's recommendation, and also because my GF wanted to see it. The premise has been updated from board game to video game, making the reboot something like a cross between the original and Tron. It's every bit as stupid as it sounds, but manages to actually be very funny thanks to the comedy skills of the four leads: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Karen Gillan, Kevin Hart, and Jack Black. While all of them deliver the goods, Black is the standout here. He hilariously portrays a self-absorbed teenage girl who finds herself magically sucked into a video game, where she is now a middle-aged male zoologist. In a way it's the perfect role for him; his persona in Tenacious D has much the same narcissism. Anyway, if you enjoy Black's comedy style, you need to see this movie, no matter how dumb it actually is.

Last night I watched In the Heat of the Night, the 1967 classic starring Sidney Poitier as an African American Philadelphia police officer who helps a racist redneck cop solve a murder in a fictional southern town. The sociopolitical significance of such a film at that time should be obvious to anyone familiar with American history, but what really struck me was the creative cinematography. Well, that and the sheer magnitude of Poitier. I can think of no other word to describe such a commanding presence.

Reaction score
I hated the original, but all the same on Friday night I watched the remake of Jumanji based on a co-worker's recommendation, and also because my GF wanted to see it. The premise has been updated from board game to video game, making the reboot something like a cross between the original and Tron. It's every bit as stupid as it sounds, but manages to actually be very funny thanks to the comedy skills of the four leads: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Karen Gillan, Kevin Hart, and Jack Black. While all of them deliver the goods, Black is the standout here. He hilariously portrays a self-absorbed teenage girl who finds herself magically sucked into a video game, where she is now a middle-aged male zoologist. In a way it's the perfect role for him; his persona in Tenacious D has much the same narcissism. Anyway, if you enjoy Black's comedy style, you need to see this movie, no matter how dumb it actually is.

Last night I watched In the Heat of the Night, the 1967 classic starring Sidney Poitier as an African American Philadelphia police officer who helps a racist redneck cop solve a murder in a fictional southern town. The sociopolitical significance of such a film at that time should be obvious to anyone familiar with American history, but what really struck me was the creative cinematography. Well, that and the sheer magnitude of Poitier. I can think of no other word to describe such a commanding presence.

Regarding In the Heat of the Night and other films of that time frame, there was a an aesthetic of overall production values (directing, acting, dialogue, lighting, sound) that many films lack today.

I've recently watched two films of that ilk, though they came much later-- Alien and La Femme Nikita.

Reaction score

Given that you liked the latter, you might consider watching The Pawnbroker, another 60's film noire featuring Rod Steiger as the titular character.

Hector

Staff member
Reaction score

Another good film of his is To Sir, With Love. Not as powerful as In The Heat Of The Night, but still a decent film.

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Another good film of his is To Sir, With Love. Not as powerful as In The Heat Of The Night, but still a decent film.

I saw that back in the 90s and barely remember it. I should re-watch it sometime.

Reaction score

I guess that's one of the appeals of film in that it can bullshit from woe to go but still have a line or concept of wtf

Cop Siesta for an example of this.

Hector

Staff member
Reaction score
Saw Blade Runne 2049... Don't understand what all the hate was about. It was a good film, you would have to have seen the original to understand it...

Reaction score
First saw this in the theater in 1988 and thought it was due for a rewatch-

Reaction score
First saw this on TV in the 80’s though it had been made in 1973- with Britt Eklund (who couldn’t love her!) she was not the poor man’s but a likeable Faye Dunaway-

This particular clip doesn’t have Britt Eklund but it’s Miss Thomsett is cool-

Here’s a heavier but touching clip near the end of the film-

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Darwin Awards with Joseph Fiennes and Winona Ryder-- had some funny moments-

Top Bottom