Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Compressor

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by bumblebee, Nov 17, 2007.

Tags:
  1. bumblebee

bumblebee

Hi!

On my Sweet 25.1 there are many options to vary the sound.

I have a variable Contour. This means the more Contour I apply the lower and higher freqencies of my bass sound will be increased and the mids are being decresed.

I as well have a variable Compressor. What EXACTLY does this do to the sound??

2. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hey Bumblebee.

The compressor simply cuts the peaks of the sound. A wave has a minimum point and maximum point. A compressor first cuts the peaks, then you increase the gain, and restore the overall volume back. Now... when you do this, the minimum point of the wave will be higher, so the bass will have overall more presence in the mix, will sound "closer".

A compressor starts working after a limit, called "treshold" You set the treshold in our case with the Gain pot. Higher the gain is, sooner the compressor wil start to work.
    After the treshold, the signal is compressed. You can set the compressor RATIO, with the compressor pot. you can set ratio from 1:1 to 1:inifity. 1:1 ratio, means that the compressor is not doind anything infinity:1 means that the treshold acts like a ceiling, nothing goes after it.
    2:1 compressor, it means that if the signal goes 2 dB after the treshold, the compressor will "compress"i t to 1 dB. So... below the treshold the compressor is not doing anything, after the treshold, the compressor cuts the signal.

I hope it helped a little :)

3. bumblebee

bumblebee

A little, yes.... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D