Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

compressor question

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by jjl5590, Sep 26, 2008.

1. jjl5590

jjl5590

hi,

i dont really understand the built in compressor on the profet 3.2. it doesnt make any difference to the sound, but when i have it set to maximum, it will turn red when the amp clips. is it protecting the amp somehow? if it is, why dont people just leave it on maximum permently? it doesnt seem to affect the sound

thanks

2. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

The Profet's compressor is a very musical, transparent compressor. This is a good thing. But it is working :)
    It is a matter of taste, some want more compression, some don't want compression at all... It's about dynamics, not about sound...

3. jjl5590

jjl5590

but does the compressor actually protect the amp? i see it turns red when the amp clips but it doesnt prevent it from clipping

4. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Engage the compressor & slap & pop,hard.Then do the same thing,without the compressor.You'll hear a difference then.
    What Flo says is dead right.The comp on the Profet works like a good comp should.If you're not familiar with what compression does,theres plenty of good info both here & on the net.

5. Eberbachl

Eberbachl

I agree that the compressor on the Pro FET 3.2 and 5.1 is pretty transparent.

It's been modified in the new 3.3 and 5.2 heads to kick in a little earlier - it's effect is a bit more noticeable on those heads.

It's a pretty subtle device on the Pro FET heads, but it can be quite useful. Experiment with it and you might find some new sounds you like.

:D