Compressor advice.

Reaction score
^^^ Hehe

So many choices! I currently use the Whirlwind OC Bass. Super quick to adjust on the fly. I've been learning to appreciate simplicity and the convenience of pedals rather than rack gear. Nice to be able to just hit the kill switch without turning and walking to the rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yeah - I mean, it's logical that rack gear would be better than pedals, but hooking everything up to be adjustable on the fly can be a real pain.

I gigged this weekend with the Boss LM-2 and it does a really good job of keeping levels sensible. You can get them used for cheap and they're Boss - meaning they can withstand a nuclear war.

tomb68

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Tom Baker
Yeah - I mean, it's logical that rack gear would be better than pedals, but hooking everything up to be adjustable on the fly can be a real pain.

I gigged this weekend with the Boss LM-2 and it does a really good job of keeping levels sensible. You can get them used for cheap and they're Boss - meaning they can withstand a nuclear war.

OK, I'm at work and basically doing nothing so why not start a debate...(it's called trolling...LOL)

There are numerous rack compressors I wouldn't put up against a MB Compressore or the Joe Meek FloorQ. Having owned 2 dbx160's and a Compressore I prefer the markbass. It's a taste thing, but the Compressore is quieter. I don't really use compressors on bass, more vocals and sometimes tracking a snare (limiter). Hell, in reality it is a rare thing for me to use a compressor at all, but I don't run multiple stomps either as the OP does.

Of course, everyone's different on this.

tomb68

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Tom Baker
I was making a gross generalisation!

I wasn't being all that serious. :p Didn't mean to ruffle feathers. Sorry about that. I too was making a generalization(spelled like a yank would) about how many low-end/budget rack units there are these days.

Florin

Warwick Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
and that's a good point! Speaking about setting a comp quickly, symetrix as an "automatic" button, that works great! I mean that's is probably the best setting anyway. It means you only need to set treshold and makeup gain.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Augie I just ordered me one of these... Will let you know what I think of it, it is supposed to be very neutral.
Should arrive on saturday.
effect_pedals_tlc_main_lg2.jpg

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Ooof. Good comp. Not as good as the dualband Trace Elliot SMX.

But then: Usage of any compressor in combination with a tube amp means degradation whatever you try. So I'd better start playing properly on zee double!!!

Florin

Warwick Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One phrase should be always remembered: "The compressor should be used as a creative tool, not as a correction tool for technique" :)
No matter how steady you play, a smooth compression will tighten up your sound in the mix.

Reaction score
Great bit of advice. Don't rely on your gear to make up for your shortcomings! I could be playing through the best rig in the world, and Geezer Butler could be playing a P-bass copy through a Harley Benton practice amp and still sound 100 times better than me.

Reaction score
I prefer to leave my compressors in the studio. I like to be able to use dynamics to make statements within live music. Its all in the fingers

IMG_1975.jpg

Top Bottom