Cleaning up excess dried wax?

Reaction score
I noticed there's ugly patches of dry wax on the body of my Corvette that haven't been absorbed. What's the best way to clean it off?

Reaction score
I can recommend a few things: rubbing really hard with a clean soft cloth..if that doesn't do it you might wan to remove the wax with a bit of lemon oil OR scrub it off with a scotch brite pad (the green ones..). these methods work for me.

Reaction score
I can recommend a few things: rubbing really hard with a clean soft cloth..if that doesn't do it you might wan to remove the wax with a bit of lemon oil OR scrub it off with a scotch brite pad (the green ones..). these methods work for me.

Thanks mate!

Reaction score
sure thing! let me know how things work out for ya.

Reaction score
I tried the rubbing really hard with a clean soft cloth. It worked perfectly, thanks. But my wrist is killing me, like that carpal tunnel feeling. Is there a better way to work wax in, like using a hair dryer? Is that safe?

Reaction score
I can't imagine how a hair dryer would be of any use - how would you use it?

I find the best way to wax is you apply it with your bare hands (body heat makes it soft) and rub it out 10 minutes later with a soft clean cloth. If you put it on too heavy or don't buff thoroughly you'll have some dull build up. It shouldn't be a painful experience man!

Reaction score
I can't imagine how a hair dryer would be of any use - how would you use it?

I find the best way to wax is you apply it with your bare hands (body heat makes it soft) and rub it out 10 minutes later with a soft clean cloth. If you put it on too heavy or don't buff thoroughly you'll have some dull build up. It shouldn't be a painful experience man!

Thought I could melt the wax in.

Reaction score
Oh...hmmm. maybe you could. but the bare hand method works fine. plus you can get the wax into all the nooks and crannies with your fingers.

Reaction score
Oh...hmmm. maybe you could. but the bare hand method works fine. plus you can get the wax into all the nooks and crannies with your fingers.

which alwasys gets you funny looks when your working the wax into the top longerr horn of the thumb or vette ;)

but yeah apply by hand and buff ten mins later is what i do. florin leaves his overnight before he buffs

Reaction score
Nice bass!! I would rather get a bass with too much wax (that I can take off and rewax) than to get one of those basses that have not been oiled or waxed in years. ;)

I apply my wax and come back in 30 or more minutes to ensure it is dried. sometimes I also wait overnight and the results are better the longer I wait for it to dry.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
when you put the wax like Gerry said, you can rub a little with the grain, until you feel the wood heating. ;-)

Reaction score
Don't heat your bass with a hair dryer, you will cause hot spots on your wood that will
promote warping. The entire piece needs to remain the same temperature all over all the time. Never set it next to a heating/cooling outlet. Don't set it in a guitar stand out in the sun for extended periods where one side heats up and the other side is shaded.
Allways think of the wood as still being alive and try to handle it that way.

Reaction score
Don't heat your bass with a hair dryer, you will cause hot spots on your wood that will
promote warping. The entire piece needs to remain the same temperature all over all the time. Never set it next to a heating/cooling outlet. Don't set it in a guitar stand out in the sun for extended periods where one side heats up and the other side is shaded.
Allways think of the wood as still being alive and try to handle it that way.

Carefull handling is always advisable but it's not a poorly made acoustic were talking here.The heat needed to melt wax is well below anything what will do any damage.It melts just rubbing between your fingers & these basses are built to be played under hot lights,by a sweaty shaved ape.;)

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Hehe, that was the reason I joined the forum I guess, I needed to know how our basses are originally finished.
The melted wax is used on the unfinished bass, it is not necessarily to use it on a finished bass.

Top Bottom