Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Cleaning an amp

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by Augie, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Augie

Augie The Desert Bass-ape

Is there anything i can do to clean out an old amp? I have heard of flushing pots and blowing the inside out with compressed air but am not sure if its worth it.

I just bought a new head on ebay and unless i am severely disappointed i will be selling my old Carvin R1000. I've had it for years and its served me well but is probably full of dust/stench/filth and whatever else the fan sucks into the head after years in rehearsal rooms, houses and smoky pubs and parties. I juts want to make sure whoever gets it gets in in as good a nick as possible, and wont feel i've f**ked them on the deal. Most importantly i dont want to fry myself to bacon-smelling crisp for the sake of an old am i am gunna sell. Its a 1000W ss head so i know there are things in there that could seriously damage me if i am silly about it

Any advice? is it worth taking to a tech to clean out? or do i just sell it as used with slight cracking on a pot or two and dust thrown in for free?

Also i will probably clean out the new one i bought, might as well if it looks like its seen some dusty rooms

2. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

I think you should sell it as it is, it is actually fair. Cleaning the pots will make them better, but not for long... It is better for the new owner to see what he gets.
    My 2 cents...

3. stinky634

stinky634

Deoxit.

This stuff you spray a little into all input/output jacks and 'scrub' with a standard cable by pushing in and out a few times. Then you can spray a bit into your pots and whatnot. On the Eden forums they highly reccomend this, also you can read the Amazon reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-Deoxit-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00006LVEU

4. Augie

Augie The Desert Bass-ape

Cheers, i recon somehting like that and a can of air should do the trick